Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Vagabond in ABQ at Night

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond in ABQ at Night

Hello...I joined recently as I am intersted in purchasing a Vagabond within the next few months. I live in Albuquerque. Elevation is around 5500 MSL depending on which field you are based at. I fly at night around 30% of the time due to my schedule. Here are my questions.

1) How does the Vagabond handle Density Altitudes: Full Fuel/190lb pilot.
    2)I read the Nav/Ldg Light STCs....but what's involved with wiring and light installation when the airplane has already been covered in its fabric?
    3) Would my DA be a problem if the engine does not have a mixture control?
    Thank you, Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vagabond in ABQ at Night

FlyingJ, Welcome to ShortWingPipers.org. I moved your thread because I felt that it needed it's own thread rather than a continuation of the battery thread.

I for one don't think the Vagabond is the correct airplane for your mission. No electrical system for night operations and low horse power for the elevation and density altitude. Yes, it could be modified but I think there are a lot of airplanes out there that will meet your mission better.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve:
    Thank you for your reply and advice, I really appreciate it. That sounds great, I will move up the family tree, then. I see that the PA-16 already has electric and a greater useful load. It's on the ragged edge of what I can afford but would be a better fit....(range wise too...I travel mostly across the SW U.S.) Your thoughts on a Clipper? Better for the mission? Thanks again, Jay

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A Clipper with the original O-235-C1 can struggle in the DA. One with an O-320 or a Pacer would do great.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll echo what the guru says. After living and flying around the SW for many years, you'll want to get that O-320 or higher due to the DAs. With less hp, you'll be limiting the days you can fly quite a bit as well as limiting places you can fly out of. I've had a few times where the terrain on takeoff was out climbing me. When I lived in Colorado I wanted a Pacer with the O-320, but decided it wasn't going to be enough at my altitude (6800'MSL) after flying a couple in the area.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Steve and Tadpole! I really appreciate your thoughts. So i will keep my eye here and on the typical sites TAP and Barns.. If you hear of an available short wing meeting these criteria please let me know. Thanks again for all your help! Jay