Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thread: Engine mount corrosion tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine mount corrosion tips?

I have found some minor surface rust on my motor mount. I would like to prep and paint it on the plane if possible. Has any one done this? What was your process for prep. What primer and paint works well for this purpose? Thanks for your input!
    IMG_0565.jpegIMG_0558.jpegIMG_0559.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine mount corrosion tips?

I think most would agree you cannot thoroughly & properly inspect, clean, prep and paint the engine mount with the engine etc still attached.
    An engine hoist (cherry picker) makes removing the engine relatively easy, and there are numerous posts on this site discussing engine R&R techniques, and how to properly inspect, prep and paint aircraft parts.

You might ask the IA who does your annuals to advise and help - owner assisted maintenance.
    Do it right so you will have confidence you are not simply masking a problem - "putting lipstick on a pig."

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

The mechanic that installed my vg’s recommended appliance paint but after further inspection I would agree with you. I have my annual in May so I will plan to address it then. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I tried one of those "appliance Paints" a 2 part epoxy from Menards. Trash. Even after a few weeks it washes off easily with acetone. Not an epoxy like most that can tolerate MEK used in the Polyfiber products applications.

Post Thanks / Like

I would remove the engine and engine mount. Bead blast the mount and prime with Consolidated Aircraft epoxy primer and then top coat with their catalyzed Ranthane. You will then never have to do it again as long as you touch up any chips caused by tools.
    https://www.conaircraft.com/topcoatpaints

I had mine powered coated, big mistake, it didn’t last. Redid it as above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 03-05-2024 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, Gilbert -- as you probably know, I had mine powder-coated (after bead-blasting, close inspection, and one minor repair). What was the issue with yours? (Do I need to start worrying??)

Walt

PS-- I agree- remove the engine and the mount to do a proper job.

Post Thanks / Like

Rust developed under the powder coat. Little blisters appeared.
    Walt, Worry is down payment on a problem you may never have. —quote by Ziad K. Abdelnour

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi,

I tried one of those "appliance Paints" a 2 part epoxy from Menards. Trash. Even after a few weeks it washes off easily with acetone. Not an epoxy like most that can tolerate MEK used in the Polyfiber products applications.
    Agreed! Major structures, i.e.: engine mount, deserve to have adequate protection such as S.P. described. Not only is it good practice, but the time spent to do the job right will be brief, compared to trying to make repairs to the finish down the road.
    Appliance epoxies are a great "touch-up" for parts that are removed during maintenance.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid