Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Take off trim setting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Take off trim setting

My Colt handbook says neutral subject to loading. This is one degree up and 6.5 down for the stab. Any thoughts on the appropriateness for a tail wheel conversion? I had been putting the indicator at about mid travel.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Take off trim setting

How does the aircraft elevator trim balance feel on initial climb? The Piper elevator trim indicator is a rough reference of the horizontal stab position at best. After a couple of takeoffs, you should be able to set the trim pretty close to a proper trim position for your loaded condition, especially in a Colt. The trim indicator in the cockpit does not really indicate the corresponding numbers to the degrees of the stabilator position. At annual, the IA should check that the elevator trim system is operating properly with correct travel limits. Once you learn where the trim should be for takeoff in your aircraft, look at that stab position during preflight. That is your best indication that you will not have a major mis-trim event during takeoff. I put a nylon washer between the indicator tab and the indicator faceplate. This reduces wear and keeps a worn indicator from falling out of its channel.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Once you have a position established on the indicator, mark it with something, tape, pencil, magic marker, then you'll know where to set it at takeoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Trim depends on the load and CG of the airplane. I marked mine for the condition I fly the most, just me with full main tanks. Flying with a passenger in the front doesn’t change the trim setting much. When flying with passengers in the back seat and /or a load in the back I trim a little more nose down. Control the pitch with the yoke and trim for the right pitch after wheels leave the ground.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

I use the same technique as above.
    Select a couple start points for the trim before take off.
    Keep track of each selection and determine fits the way
    you normally take off.
    When you find the one that works best for you most common
    configuration, mark it some way (piece of tape works well until you nail it down)
    Recognize that you will need to roll in fwd trim after airborne to trim for
    climb speed.

Post Thanks / Like

My take off trim is the same as I had it set for landing unless I have passengers in the back seat, in which case I will crank in a couple turns of nose down trim. Landing I trim for about 65 MPH and hand fly it down from there, so I don't have to get on the trim right away if I have to go around. These old birds are all about feel and flying with the seat of your pants. Unless you are going into a strip empty and coming out with a load (camp, meat etc) I don't find a real need to use a lot of trim unless I am in really soft stuff and want to get the tail up ASAP, but then you will be rolling the trim back on your take off roll as you gain speed.