Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop tip distance from tire? 1957 PA22-135

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop tip distance from tire? 1957 PA22-135

Hello,

I just brought a 1957 PA22-135 into the shop today, and the first thing that caught my eye was how close the propeller is to the nosewheel tire. If I pull down and compress the strut there is only about a 16th". of spacing. Is this normal ? I did verify that it has the proper propeller on it. Any Thoughts ?

Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Prop tip distance from tire? 1957 PA22-135

Bent engine/nose wheel mount ot worn engine mount rubbers.
    Lot of information here on the rubbers. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...+mount+rubbers

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see that -- any chance of some pics? Agree with Gilbert - -something's amiss.

I saw a Tri-Pacer come in to our field once that was "making a noise" when he went to leave. Local A&P looked it over and found the rubbers so far gone it allowed the engine to sag quite a bit. Exhaust header had been chafing for some time (on engine mount frame, IIRC) and had worn a hole in the header. He didn't leave until the next day....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are close but not that close. Some pictures here that might help identify your issue. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...nd-Motor-Mount

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    ...I just brought a 1957 PA22-135 into the shop today...
    Hi Darin,
    The last 135hp PA22 was a 1954 model year, after that they all had an O-230 (except for the two-place PA22-108 with the O-235)
    Check the SN and search the FAA and other aviation databases to confirm the year if you want to know the actual date of manufacture.
    This could be important for certain parts or maintenance issues.

Example, my 1955 PA22-150 is SN 22-3020.

If the engine rubbers are more than five years old they should be investigated. The lower mounts can become very sketchy over time.
    Lots of discussion on this site about swapping the rubber mounts, it's not too difficult but there are some good tricks to make if less difficult.

Best,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

That is way too close. Almost seems too close just for sagging mount bushings, but definitely too close. If there is a hard landing that bends tubing at all, the nose gear can be splayed a bit forward, make sure all the engine mount tubes are straight.

Post Thanks / Like

Troy called it. I've seen several elongated bushings that never put the prop that close to the nose wheel. Check your engine mount using a digital magnetic level. What is it? Search. Start by: Changing your engine mount rubbers, then level your plane - and that is NOT trivial, really level it. Use the plumb bob off the right door frame fiducial reference hole. Then measure the engine down and right thrustline. Check level again and re-measure it. Write it down. Then search on here for the correct measurements. I don't recall the numbers...something like 4 deg down and 2 deg right for the thrustline as measured across the valve covers and centerline of the crankcase relative to the firewall. DO NOT USE these numbers! Go look it up for your plane. Prepare yourself for ugly measurements. Good news! New stuff fixes it!

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got back down to Parlin to check mine: It looks like I have just a tad less than 2" of clearance between the trailing edge of the prop and the front tire. Hopefully, that's "normal."

DSC01629.JPG DSC01630.JPG DSC01631.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

"Hopefully, that's "normal."

That seems like it wouldn't work well if you had a wheel pant involved, but.....

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. No, I don't have wheel pants -- but does anybody know what that dimension ought to be? I must admit it was closer than I would have thought.

I should probably add that that's with all new rubber bushings in the engine mount, and this engine now has only about 10 hours on it.