Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Should I spring for a rebuilt carb ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Should I spring for a rebuilt carb ?

Just started my annual . Gotta buy tires and tubes but was thinking about putting on a rebuilt carb from aircraft spruce
    I don’t have any backfire , it starts good most days . I just have noticed it idling lower and rougher in the cold
    It’s been 10 years . How do you know it’s time ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should I spring for a rebuilt carb ?

Have you adjusted the idle mixture screw?
    Engine idling, pull the mixture control to off. You should see approximately a 50 rpm rise momentarily. If not you need to adjust your mixture control until you get that and then adjust the idle screw to obtain the desired rpm. I like about 600 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should I spring for a rebuilt carb ?

If you don't have the rpm increase as Gilbert described. Try enriching the mixture first, no more than a half turn at a time.

Also, I have purchased A/C Spruce rebuilts in the past, they were fine. Now, I choose to have my carburetor rebuilt at a place that will flow test...like LyCon. I end up with a jet that gets flows approximately 15 gph on full rich climb and leans to under 8 gph at cruise. They are more expensive.
    Last edited by Stephen; 04-03-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."