Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Under Co-Pilot Seat Gascolator Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Under Co-Pilot Seat Gascolator Question

While doing some work on my still new to me Colt I was looking at the gascolator under the right seat and noticed the "in" stamp on the cap is facing forward. Is this correct? Does it matter on the gasolator/low point sump for the right tank? It's got a weeping issue and I'm considering upgrading to Steve's gascolator if my A&P and I can't get it to stop weeping. It's not enough to consider it an active leak, but it is an annoyance that I'd like to get sorted out. My impression is that the "in" port should face aft but after further review of the fuel system it almost looks like it doesn't matter as 1) the gascolator under the seat has no screen and is just a sump and 2) the forward fuel line on the tank would flow to the main fuel valve easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: gascolator question

Quote Originally Posted by Will K View Post
    While doing some work on my still new to me Colt I was looking at the gascolator under the right seat and noticed the "in" stamp on the cap is facing forward. Is this correct? Does it matter on the gasolator/low point sump for the right tank? It's got a weeping issue and I'm considering upgrading to Steve's gascolator if my A&P and I can't get it to stop weeping. It's not enough to consider it an active leak, but it is an annoyance that I'd like to get sorted out. My impression is that the "in" port should face aft but after further review of the fuel system it almost looks like it doesn't matter as 1) the gascolator under the seat has no screen and is just a sump and 2) the forward fuel line on the tank would flow to the main fuel valve easily.
    It is as you said, just a low point sump. However, the inlet side flows through the center of the gascolator through a small "stand off" pipe and then up past that pipe to the outlet holes. With it installed backwards you would have slightly less sediment capacity as it will flow out of the gascolator sooner through that stand off. Otherwise, I would not worry about it to much. And you already know the ultimate solution if you cant get it to dry up.

--Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve's too humble to say it so I will.
    The steve's gascolator is a HUGE safety improvement over the original design and $$ well spent! If you decide to "upgrade" your current equipment it is absolutely the way to go.
    It's a very pretty piece as well - kind of a work of art. How many other parts of a shortwing can you say that about?

--AL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will K View Post
    I had a weeping sump under my seat too. I replaced the sump with a new one from Univair. The cap is updated and far more rigid than the original. I use a Steve’s Gascolator for the gascolator. Its great. But for the under seat sump the Univair PMA part was a direct bolt in with no fuel line rework necessary. See the link below for details.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...l=1#post134777

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moto657 View Post
    I had a weeping sump under my seat too. I replaced the sump with a new one from Univair. The cap is updated and far more rigid than the original. I use a Steve’s Gascolator for the gascolator. Its great. But for the under seat sump the Univair PMA part was a direct bolt in with no fuel line rework necessary. See the link below for details.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...l=1#post134777

Thanks! I saw the univair cap and considered it. As of now, the sump appears to be good with no leaks but I'll keep the univair part in mind. I do think upgrading the gascolator on the firewall would be worth it though in the future.