Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bigger wing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bigger wing

Be careful with general terms (cub wing) That can mean a lot of different things to different people. A PA 18 wing has the same profile but has different control cable routing than a PA 12/14/20/22 making it a lot harder swap. Look into the Bushmaster/Producer conversions This extends the wings/flaps/ailerons. Also needs Struts/Jury struts/fesulage mods at bottom longerons. This allows no change of control cables other than length. You can basically use PA 12/14 wings or splice into Pacer wings giving you a very nice big wing surface. However the question of performance without lengthen the fuselage comes into play. Ask around someone has most likely done it maybe just used bigger tail feathers to make it work(Google is your friend). You don't see a lot of them around so there might be a reason. As Steve noted you are looking at experimental if you don't go all in on the project.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would assume it would be some sort of experimental.
    That was what I thought
    Wgs may not understand the can of worms he is opening.
    From what I understand is that if you take an airplane like a Tri Pacer and go to an Experimental Airworthiness certificate you can never get it back to original airworthiness.
    The extra lift may not be worth the head aches of the effort to change the wings.
    Just something to think about.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RickF View Post
    What kind of paperwork approval would be needed to legally put Cub wings on a Tri Pacer?

Rick
    Surrender your Standard Airworthiness Certificate and apply for an Experimental Exhibition Certificate. Even with an Exhibition certificate being issued to an aircraft that had a prior standard certificate Part 43 still applies so you would still need some sort of data to substantiate the alteration.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the flight limitations with an experimental exhibition certificate and are they really enforced?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Personally, I'd be more concerned what my own insurance company would do, or not, for me if I was skirting some FAA limitation and bent someone or thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer42Z View Post
    What are the flight limitations with an experimental exhibition certificate and are they really enforced?

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z
    91.319, you can’t operate the aircraft for any purpose other that the purpose of the certificate, in the case of an Experimental Exhibition certificate that would be to exhibit the aircraft and its capabilities and proficiency flying.

The current Operating Limitations require you to submit an annual program letter to the FSDO outlining your flight activities for the coming year including events you will be exhibiting the aircraft.

you also can’t carry passengers or property for hire.

43.1 says Part 43 does not apply to aircraft with Experimental certificates unless the aircraft was previously Certificated in a different category. So all the provisions of Part 43 still apply, a mechanic needs to sign off all work, you need to file 337s for major repairs and major alterations, and everything else in 43. About the only advantage there is you only need an A&P to sign your condition inspection instead of an IA.

is 91.319 enforced? I’ve never seen anyone get a violation for flying other than the purpose of the certificate but some eager FAA Inspector could!
    Last edited by dgapilot; 04-20-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your insurance will about double from what I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like

After thinking some now going to put on a Pacer wing with metal spars and put any mod available for the lift. Didn’t take long to see the above comments and not mess with the way the airplane was designed. Still need a wing (any advice here?) plus currently have a Stc for wings tips and have them. Don't want to be an experimental pilot. Thanks to all the advise and set me straight

Post Thanks / Like

This decision was made after post 8. I didn’t update the following comments since and high level info for a new Piper owner. Thanks again for the ground school. Going to read and absorb

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...tended+wingtip This is a good thread on what STC's are available. My advice would be to extend the wing as much as possible so the one that shortens the spar end is not recommended.
    DENNY