Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Odyssey Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Odyssey Battery

As required by my alternator STCi I powered the voltage regulator field off the main buss with a 5 amp switch/ckt breaker and a 50 amp ckt breaker on the alternator output. That switch also resets the over voltage relay in the event of an over voltage condition. I.e alternator “off/on” switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    As required by my alternator STCi I powered the voltage regulator field off the main buss with a 5 amp switch/ckt breaker and a 50 amp ckt breaker on the alternator output. That switch also resets the over voltage relay in the event of an over voltage condition. I.e alternator “off/on” switch.
    I’ll have to dig out my paperwork, the alternator on my airplane was done on a field approval during the engine overhaul/swap in 2004, almost a decade before I bought the airplane. I do have a 5A field switch/breaker but not a clue how it is wired without looking at the docs. My irritation was the bypassed main fuses I found, no clue when that “mod” was done. Grrr
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

"My irritation was the bypassed main fuses I found, no clue when that “mod” was done. Grrr"

Woa...bypassed? Like hardwired?

So you know how I think...I've had a longstanding curiosity about plane crashes that burned to the ground from an inflight problem and crash. Like, did that start inflight, or after the crash? I have my suspicions that pilots may get "distracted" by occasional electrical fires that later result in crashes. And, the plane is already burning when it crashes, so everything is destroyed. I hate talking about ugly stuff. Seems like it's necessary, tho.

-Subsonic

Post Thanks / Like

"My irritation was the bypassed main fuses I found, no clue when that “mod” was done. Grrr"

How many amps will a .22 round carry? Asking for a friend

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subsonic View Post

So you know how I think...I've had a longstanding curiosity about plane crashes that burned to the ground from an inflight problem and crash. Like, did that start inflight, or after the crash? I have my suspicions that pilots may get "distracted" by occasional electrical fires that later result in crashes. And, the plane is already burning when it crashes, so everything is destroyed. I hate talking about ugly stuff. Seems like it's necessary, tho.

-Subsonic
    Yes, completely bypassed. Maybe someone thought the alternator breaker(s) solved the protection problem, I haven’t a clue. My employer has lost two airplanes to fires that started in flight, one of those was fatal to the two crew members, so I think about in-flight fires too.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member