Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Odyssey Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Odyssey Battery

Battery 337

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you pick up one of these batteries? Spruce? Wag-Aero? Univair?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. I noticed that it refers to PA18 and 19 and the 337 is for a PA16, is there any significant difference on the PA22?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Am thinking of putting an Odyssey battery in my Pacer, but not sure if these can be charged using a normal charger, or do you need a "special" type?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by avcan View Post
    Hi,
    Am thinking of putting an Odyssey battery in my Pacer, but not sure if these can be charged using a normal charger, or do you need a "special" type?
    They charge just like any normal wet cell battery. Just use your normal charger.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm interested in this battery myself for the Colt. I was reading AC 43.13-2B Chapter 10 Aircraft Battery Installations. Paragraph 1008 - Battery Installation And Removal-(Installations step14 on page 110) it says to make a logbook entry with battery serial number and date of installation. Could someone please explain to me why I would need to do a 337 since the battery is FAA/PMA? Under.1006. OTHER INSTALLATIONS. "If the battery installation has not been previously approved, or if the battery is to be installed or relocated in a manner or location other than provided in previously approved data, perform static tests on the completed installation as outlined in chapter 1. Because of the concentrated mass of the battery, the support structure should also be rigid enough to prevent undue vibration or undue shock, which may lead to early structural failure".
    The only mention I saw about a field approval in the whole chapter is on page 113 and thats installing a lead-acid battery in place of a ni-cad. Is there a list of alterations that need a field approval somewhere in the AC and does battery replacement fall in that category? Sorry for the rookie question, just want to be legal. I'm not fully up to speed on the paperwork side of general aviation yet. Now if we were talking heavy jet, then I have that covered, but for a Piper Colt it's more complicated...paperwork wise anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

I may be guilty of unbridled optimism but wouldn't AC23-27 allow the use of this battery in our airplanes with, at the worst, a 337 and a new weight and balance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is an STC. The battery is PMA'd for the PA18 and 19. AC23-27 still requires approved data but I think the STC is a lot easier.
    http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ighlight=Svenn

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    I read about the STC. Have you installed the battery and switches in your airplane? I would like to get rid of the fuse block and do the switches. What mods need to be done to the battery box?

Tony