Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carlisle 8.00x6 tires

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carlisle 8.00x6 tires

Hello, Below is a picture of a golf cart tire. 8.00x6 4 ply. tube type. Can anyone give me a good reason why these tires couldn;t be used on an experimental pacer/wagabond? They list for less than 40 dollars each, less than 100 dollars for a pair with tubes. Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Carlisle 8.00x6 tires

Gary, I dont know, but could be that they would delaminate at the speeds seen at takeoff or landing, golf carts are not very fast...but on the other hand..... might be fine???

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't risk chunking rubber from a tire to save $50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taildraggerpilot
    I wouldn't risk chunking rubber from a tire to save $50.

My feelings exactly..

Post Thanks / Like

This would be very easy to test with little risk. You could easily mount them to a test rig (trailer) loaded to the gross weight of the aircraft and drive it down the road at 60 MPH. That 50 bucks saved is only for the first set of tires, if it works, you will have a lifetime of savings.

This is the "experimental" section... Do some experimenting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd make something where you can drop it from with the tire stopped and the test rig going 70 plus miles an hour with full gross weight if I was considering it. If you consider how often you have to buy tires TSO'd might be money well spent. Just my thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys Thanks for the imput. Thats what I like so much about this site. Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I was just searching for 8.00 x 6 aircraft tires on the internet to get prices (most around 150.00 not 90.00) I discoverd that Wicks aircraft sells these carlisle tires in their aircraft tires section for 37.00 each, but the fine print says 410 lbs gross weight each tire, so that shoots that in the foot. now we know Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know Kitfox used some shaved down tires used for something else but it had a lower gross weigh also. Did you check with Desser Tire? They usually have good prices. I paid $125 each for the Airtrac 8.50x6 6 ply back in May. I like the Airtrac because it has a round profile which seems to handle better on a tail dragger.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use anything but a TSO'd tire on my airplane. These are my notes from the I.A. renewal seminar I attended Friday.

Aircraft tires are designed for a minimum speed of 160 mph (type III) and I doubt the wagon tire will withstand that. Automotive tires are built to withstand speeds up to 112 mph. Aircraft tires are designed for up to 3 times deflection in the side wall...even automotive tires are not designed to withstand those loads. Aircraft tires are designed to deflect 32% where as automotive are designed to deflect 11 %. I'd bet the wagon tire is made of synthitic rubber where a aircraft tire is made of natural rubber that is more heat resistant. At 300 degrees F, the adhesive in aircraft quality tires starts to loosen....I can only imagine what temperature the wagon tire's adhesive starts to loosen at.

Visit http://www.goodyearaviation.com for more information.

My Pacer has Goodyear 8.50 x 6 tires. The FAA inspector had me specify which brand of tire I was using with my Field Approval. I paid about $120.00 each in Anchorage.

BTW: When Anchorage ran out of 8.50 x 6 tubes, the FAA let operators use an over-inflated a 8.00 x 6 tube with their 8.50 tires.

Pat Adams
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pacer 1160C