Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Who Has a Piper-Based Project In Work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Who Has a Piper-Based Project In Work?

I spent all day yesterday cutting, fitting and welding. Anybody else got something cooking?

EDIT:
    I figured I should add the list of "stuff" in work/planned on this airplane, just in case it gets lost over at the "other" site.

• Vans RV-7 cowl
    • Widened firewall
    • Zero thrustline
    • Cessna spring gear
    • 600x6x15 tires and very tight "pressure recovery" wheelpants
    • Flat floor from firewall to baggage compartment
    • Swing-up front doors both sides
    • Significantly enlarged rear windows
    • No rear door
    • Tapered rod tailwheel assembly
    • Ailerons moved out one rib bay
    • Extended flaps (chord and length)
    • 2x 25+ gallon (stressed member) fuel tanks
    • Squared (not clipped) tips
    • All electric (glass) panel
    • Constant speed prop
    • Tuned, 4 into 1 exhaust
    • Overhead manual, or all electric flaps (manual prefered)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So Who Has a Piper-Based Project In Work?

I don't have anything experimental going yet but would love to see pictures of yours.

Post Thanks / Like

FrankenP, what are some of your specific plans? I've got two general ideas on experimental short wing projects. One using a PA-22 frame and wings, and someday one using the basic Vag fuselage. Right now I'm still trying to figure how far to push the mods on my current Pacer.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Well, The most significant structural change has to be the provisions for the Cessna spring gear. The loads imposed by the spring gear are highly concentrated, which is often a problem for retrofitting a tubular structure. Fortunately, the axle centerline allows the spring to be centered at a fairly major tube cluster at the forward door frame. There is some additional structure that will be added to spread the load to other areas, but it is pretty straightforward. One of the most visable changes is the removal of the hydrasorb/seat truss, and the rework of the lower door frame. The doorframe will run in a straight line from the existing location at the rear door frame to the lower longeron/front frame location. This not only straigtens out the load path, but enlarges the door a bit (about 2 inches lower).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had a friend put spring gear on his Clipped Winged Cub. I remember him welding some supports in for the clamps that go around the spring gear. I will have to see if he has any pictures. Are you going to use the Grove gear? I know you can get it gun drilled for the brake fluid to run through. I met Roby Grove at Sun & Fun last year. He is a Cub guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I am currently flying a 22/20 that is licensed "Experimental". Technically it is a Wagabond Traveller, but in reality it is 99.9% 1952 PA 22/20. The builder convinced the FAA it was a Traveller back in the early 80's. I am also building another exprimental Pacer that orginally was destined to be a V6 STOL but I have decided not to use the recommended Ford V6. I started the project 11 years ago and figured it was two years to flying, now I figure it is still just about two years from flying (although this estimate is considerably more realistic).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I had a friend put spring gear on his Clipped Winged Cub. I remember him welding some supports in for the clamps that go around the spring gear. I will have to see if he has any pictures. Are you going to use the Grove gear? I know you can get it gun drilled for the brake fluid to run through. I met Roby Grove at Sun & Fun last year. He is a Cub guy.
    Though the gun drilled Grove gear has its appeal, I am going with stock Cessna 170 legs. Despite the fact that I am into the cutting and welding stage, I would like to see any pictures you might have. There is a rumor that there is a STC for Cubs using Cessna gear. BIG speed gains from what I understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Why do you want to use Cessna gear? I would think that the one piece Groove gear might be stronger and absorb more shock, with less transfer to the fuselage. Rubb used to have pictures of his project and how he modified the frame to accept the one piece gear. Maybe he would post them.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Because the Cessna gear legs are widely available if I happen to damage one, and most important, they were free. Also, the Grove gear are pushing the limits for the gross weight of a 4 place aircraft. Last time I checked, most of their product line was with lighter stuff like Kitfoxes and Skybolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, new here. Was just reading all the bashing on the other site over an "Experimental" forum. When things get that narrow minded I guess it's time to move on.
    I'm building a Wag-aero Wagabond that has a lot of Pa22 lineage (parts). Got a lot of useful info from the other site and hope to continue that here.

Kind of a coincidence you are talking about spring gear on your pipers. When I decided to proceed with this project I saw a Cub in the EAA Sport Aviation, completion section with spring gear. Managed to get in touch with the builder and he emailed me photos of his gear box (which I've since lost after my computer crashed). Anyway I've duplicated his efforts into my project but instead of the Cessna steel gear I've modified an aluminium gear leg from a BD4.