Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: engine preservative oil choice---

Post Thanks / Like

Default engine preservative oil choice---

The parts plane I just got has a new looking O-320. But appears to have no oil inside. None showing on dipstick---
    It has the regular spark plugs in it----

With the idea that it wont be run for a while--- shouldnt it have oil in it and be rotated (plugs loosened)
    once a week or so more or less to keep all the internals oil coated ?

I was thinking of using ATF since it is highly anti corrosive---- but I remember there is some special pickleing oil that it used and they fill it completely up to overflowing. But I just want a normal amount to keep an oil film on the internals. Is the "outboard fogging oil" used in outboards useful for this at all ?
    Like to figure out how to spray the cam lobes somehow---- since they are far from the pan---

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: engine preservative oil choice---

I would try and keep it in a climate control space, cover exhaust ports, fill with preservative oil or double Camguard and rotate the engine to get oil on everything (do not rotate the crankshaft) and install dehydrator plugs. I have a plate bolted to an automotive engine stand and mount the engine on it's mount on the plate and it can be rotated periodically.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=6338

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=25736

Post Thanks / Like

I had an O-200 I had preserved and every so often I would push oil through it using a garden sprayer attached to a hose through the oil pressure sensor port. I figured that way I coated all the bearings and sprayed some oil around the inside and up to the valve train. I could get it up to 50 psi.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I've often heard moving the crankshaft will actually wipe the oil off the cylinders.

Post Thanks / Like

Semi-related question - if you sealed the fill port and the breather, could you store a lycoming upside down to keep the cam in an oil bath?

Just a random thought I had while reading this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Semi-related question - if you sealed the fill port and the breather, could you store a lycoming upside down to keep the cam in an oil bath?

Just a random thought I had while reading this thread.
    Yes, it will still leak but easier to clean up oil drips than replace rusted parts. During the fuselage rebuild on my Da's Clipper we rotated the engine upright to upside down and back ever so often.

Post Thanks / Like

what if I got a new insecticide bug sprayer---- and hooked it up as a pressure pre-oiler so I could pressureize the oil
    system without having to move the crank on a possibly dry engine----------- do that several times on successive days---
    then try to rotate the crank with the plugs out and the cylinders spray oiled while under oil pressure. Then if that goes OK---then fill it with the phillips and invert about twice or 3 times a month ?

Im not all that ok with letting the rings sit in the same spot that they may have been in for several years or more all ready.

PO said he had it for about 2 years and it never had oil in it since he got it and he did not turn it.
    He said it was a crated "mystery engine" that was supposed to have been overhauled about 20 years ago....
    it looks visualy like that could be true----

Tim

PS--- will the crank oil ruin the dessicant in the dehydrator plugs If I invert the engine ?
    Im assuming jyou only keep it inverted for a short time--- so the oil doesnt have time to seep past the rings--- and fill up the dessicators--- (but it does look like you can clean and refill them when the silica gel gets water loaded)
    Last edited by tim bandy; 02-25-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are inverting it I would put regular plugs in position and not desiccant plugs for the now bottom plugs. Some oil will leak past the rings on at least some of the cylinders. You might think about pulling one or two cylinders and taking a look at the cam lobes. If they are caked with rust you are already too late.

Post Thanks / Like

ordering a case (4 gallons) of the phillips 66 antirust oil. The cylinders look good- the area under the rocker boxes look good--- no sign of any rust---- everything looks operating room clean---

This engine came with no logbook. Is there a set perscription (reg) or is it up to the IA that is examining the particular engine as to how deep of an inspection needs to go ? (like inspecting the cam lobe surfaces by sliding back 1 jug at a time--)

Tim