Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Is there any difference internally between the header tank of a PA-15, PA-16, PA-17?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fuel Tanks

Joe, Yes they are all the same. I removed my 12 gallon nose tank in my Clipper and added a right wing tank. It is now in a Vagabond in the UK.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    How accurate is the fuel gauge on these header tanks? I made a dipstick for mine, but haven't run the tank down to empty, so don't know the bottom yet.
    Thanks - Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine was dead on. I miss that accuracy with wing tanks. I could comfortably fly my Clipper in the pattern with less than 5 gallons of gas. The gauge worked great and the glass shows the gas also.

Post Thanks / Like

The nose tank in my Clipper and the nose tank in my Vag were both dead on. If they were 1/2 full it took 6 gallons. If is showed 1/4 full it took 9. Once you get to 1/4 full and below you should see the fuel level in fuel gage glass if the air is smooth.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fuel gauge float in my PA-15 that won't float anymore. I did a search and this is the closest thread to the problem. It was working fine. I have been using non ethanol recreational gas I get at the marina. Today, I had to fill with avgas. Immediately, the float sank. Not sure if it is a coincidence, but bottom line is it needs a new float. I checked Univair's catalog with no luck. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

WAG AERO has a rebuild kit for $10.39. I used this to rebuild my Clipper nose tank and Vag tank.
    http://store.wagaero.com/product_inf...products_id=99

Or you can go to the local hardware store-NOT Lowes or Home Cheapo but a real hardware store and buy a cork. Coat it with catalyzed polyurethane paint or varnish such as Poly Fiber Aerothane after you stick it on the float arm. I did that for the wing tank gage in the Clipper about 10 years ago. Still doing fine. The catalyzed polyurethane is impervious to fuel.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-23-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the tool to remove the gauge without twisting the rod up into the tank as well if you need it.

Post Thanks / Like

What a fast response. Thanks. Of course I don't want to twist the float arm. Is there such a technique to removing the float arm that a special tool is needed? What is the tool and what is the technique?
    On a further note, is it possible that the recreational gas dissolved the varnish? I found "crud" coming loose on the floor of the gas tank when I started using the recreational gas. It had almost filled the gascolator the first time I opened it for inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Might be that the varnish just started deteriorating. The tool holds the center of the gauge while turning the bezel. I will see if I still have a new gauge in my stash and I could send you both the new gauge and tool, or you might just need a float and gasket.