Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Post Thanks / Like

Default pa-17 fuel gadge

Looking for pa-17 fuel gadge parts diagram.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is probably a drawing on the Short Wing Piper Club Vagabond drawing cd. Here is the gauge from Wagaero. http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=98

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the gage parts and the tools from Mike Ford Parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    I bought the gage parts and the tools from Mike Ford Parts.
    Ok Bruce, now you have my curiosity sparked. Are either of these tools what you used?
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they are OEM ford tools. The gages that pipers used were from ford. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Keith and Bruce. You do need to check the Piper drawings on the gauge. Piper drawings 11662 and 11663 are on the SWPC PA-15 Vagabond CD. Piper modified the Ford Model A gauge by straightening the lever arm, and by adding a recalibrated indicator plate over the original gauge markings. I made my own plate for mine based on the Piper drawing. The only problem I have with mine is that the cork has somehow rotated from horizontal to vertical (????) throwing the gauge indications off by about 2 gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

Piper also used a different outer nut for installing the gauge. Piper part # 70281-2. There is also a drawing somewhere for a tool to remove this nut, but I can't find it right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the other type of nut . Need to change gaskets to stop weeping leak. Looks like some kind of spanner wrench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I merged these two threads for future reference.

I have this tool pictured here which was made off the drawing in the SWPC drawing CD. It works on the gauge as it was installed by Piper but some have been modified and different retaining nuts used. The large piece of tubing with two ears is used to remove the retaining nut which holds the gauge in place. The nut and bolt are used to keep the gauge itself from rotating inside the tank and bending the float rod. Looks like I might need to buy the Ford Tool to get the star shaped tool so it can grab on more points. I can loan this tool if you are willing to pay shipping.
    100_6402.jpg100_6404.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy HeaTank seals

Hello folks;
    got a few cold days here in AL, noticed a seep on the eyelid type fuel gauge of a headder 12 gal tank on a Clpper.
    anoying fuel smell in the cabin! Called univair for parts and no luck. wanted to know if it would take regular O-rings or special ones before
    I take it apart.

found all kinds of zises here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/orings.php

thanks for the help