Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-17 Fuel Tank

Vagabond gas gauge, parts and special tool, also used in the Model A Ford among others.
    http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/search?q=gas+gauge
    Also search GAS GAUGE or GAS GAGE at http://www.mikes-afordable.com/ or http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 12-13-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-17 Fuel Tank

Thanks Gilbert - useful information.

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nose Tanks PA15, 16 & 17

Glad I found this thread!!!!!

New PA-17 Vagabond owner and have fuel seepage around the fuel indicator gauge. Most of the gas out of tank and started cleaning around the gauge. Loose paint came off. Looked like fuel seeping out around gauge and possibly between tank wall and solder seen around the gauge fitting.

Looks like the bolt hex head like Steve uses could be used to hold the gauge still while turning the bezel. Will be looking for the special tool to buy or borrow to turn the bezel. Thinking about replacing the gauge gasket set with the repair kit Gilbert referenced to:

https://www.wagaero.com/fuel-gauge-rebuild-kit.html

If it's leaking around the solder, should the tank come out and go to a repair shop for repairs or could PR-1750 sealant mentioned earlier be used around the solder?

Thanks,

Last edited by rideandfly; 03-29-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All the previously solder repaired areas leak on my tank!
    I used the PR stuff which works really well.
    I have never replaced the seal for the gas tank gauge as I feel I could just create more leakage problems.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the ford model A used the same gas gage and the model A suppliers have the right tools.
    Gilbert can expand on this

andy
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    All the previously solder repaired areas leak on my tank!
    I used the PR stuff which works really well.
    I have never replaced the seal for the gas tank gauge as I feel I could just create more leakage problems.
    TonyN
    Tony,

While looking at the close-up photo above of the gauge lens, it might be cracked, will take a closer look next time I'm at the airport. Ordered a gauge gasket set and PR-1750 sealant last night.

Thanks,
    Last edited by rideandfly; 03-30-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    I believe the ford model A used the same gas gage and the model A suppliers have the right tools.
    Gilbert can expand on this

andy
    Andy,

Appreciate the information. It's helpful to find Model A parts on the Vagabond that are still available.

Thanks,
    Last edited by rideandfly; 03-30-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from the airport, the lens is cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys,
    We have had one of our group use fuel with Ethanol in it and caused a few issues. I am in the process of repairing the damage and trying to remove the guage(gage). I have got the Ford tools and a Ethanol proof float and gasket set. Removed the ring and plates but the guage won't move. I am not sure how it is extractred from the tank and don't want to 'persuade' it in a direction that it was not desigend to go. Does it come out through the filler neck, or through its own hole? I susect sealant has been used as there is a lot of it around the soldered joint.
    The black laquer on the scale has been trashed as well and wipes off when touched. What paint is best to refinish it. Ethanol proof if possible

Post Thanks / Like

The gauge comes out the front of the gauge hole as a complete unit after removing the outer ring; part #8 in the diagram.
    The back of the main housing and gasket fit into the tank gauge recess against a flange.
    The external threaded outer ring nut is tightened to hold the gauge assembly against the gasketed flange.

Once you remove that threaded outer ring the whole assembly should come out of the gauge hole. It can be rotated about 90 degrees either way before the float and arm hits the side of the tank. I suspect someone used gasket sealant and it is now holding the assembly against the flange.

I believe black lacquer was used originally. Model airplane supplier’s have fuel proof paint. New complete assemblies aren’t that expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 07-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.