Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Piper Inspection Grommets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aluminum Piper Inspection Grommets

My tapatalk won't post pictures either... Had to switch to my computer. This app went downhill really fast with the last couple updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fixed the link Gary. I glue the grommets on the outside of the fabric unless I am repairing blown out holes on an old plastic grommet and then I will glue on the inside. I also glue parallel like the drawing shows. Center the jackscrew carry-thru tube up by measuring between the rear horizontal mount and then check with your inspection cover. Beware though because a lot of people have made their own over the years and they are not always correct and can limit you stabilizer travel.

Post Thanks / Like

It worked...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, Don't take this in the wrong way. From looking at your latest picture I see some streaks on the fabric. I don't know jack about the system you are using. I do know if that is glue and it is anything like Super Seam or Poly Tac. You will have a hard time to keep from seeing them in the final finish.
    If they are on the back side just about impossible.

Take care and keep after it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Hi aggain Mark,

As you've probably seen, people here want your project to come out as nicely as it can. Along the lines of what "the other Jim" is saying, I have another suggestion for you. I use a two inch wide strip of Plexiglas with a line along the middle of it I use to draw lines where the tapes are going. Keeping the glue between the lines will save aot of sanding grief a little later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Hi aggain Mark,

As you've probably seen, people here want your project to come out as nicely as it can. Along the lines of what "the other Jim" is saying, I have another suggestion for you. I use a two inch wide strip of Plexiglas with a line along the middle of it I use to draw lines where the tapes are going. Keeping the glue between the lines will save aot of sanding grief a little later.
    Thanks Jim an Jim... Anywhere you can see dark green...that's glue on the surface...that'll be wiped off....with acetone. Once all the grommets, tapes...nothing fabricé to be added. I'll then apply a diluted 1-3 glue to acetone ratio on all the tapes and lap joints... Will at that time need to be careful with brush marks and globs of...

Post Thanks / Like

Was trying to picture your plexiglass... And it's use.... What I've been doing is marking the fabric.....say 1" tangent from the longeron...using a six inch rule...draw the line between measure marks...the length of the tape to be applied. I hope when I'm done...that my tape lines and overlaps....are straight and look good enough that I'll want to wear my vision correction device.....glasses

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mark

a chalk line works real well on longer tapes. a 2" piece of Plexiglas or aluminum works great for shorter tapes. mark both sides of the "ruler" and keep your product inside your lines. as other folks said here this will affect the final product and stop the" acetone removal phase". cleanliness counts big time

just ask me how I know that ... lol

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again Mark,

The plexiglas strip is scrap from the hardware store, close to three feet long. Both two inch and three inch wide are handy. The Magic Marker line is down its middle is so you can tell when you're centered on a rib or whatever. I have a few other lengths for shorter things.

Post Thanks / Like

These are all good tips on centering the tapes. My method is to fold a short piece of whatever size tape I'm using in half to get a crease. Now I can lay that on the center and mark where the edge is with a pencil. You can put the pencil marks as close or as far apart as you want them.

What you are doing now is the most important part of the covering process.
    Sorry to say, but if you screw this up you are screwed. After about 10 recover jobs I figured this out. OK I'm a slow learner
    Jim ( the other one)