Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clipper panel attachment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clipper panel attachment

Does anyone have pictures or drawings of how the instrument panel for the Clipper is supposed to be attached to the cross bar(s). The attachment points on mine have been modified (some might say "removed" or "hack sawed off") at some point in its past and I need to know what I have to do to make it the way it's supposed to be. Thanks, Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Originally the panel was attached to the cross tube by tabs welded to the tube that also supported the throttle and carb heat, cabin heat, mixture control, and I believe the fuel primer.
    You can see these in the attached pictures sticking up. In the last picture there are three bolts holding the panel temporarily. These bolt thru those 3 tabs that will hold the carb heat, throttle, and cabin heat. There is also one for the primer. I may have added one more from the original, I don't remember for sure. The tabs pointing down with the nut plates riveted on I installed to attach the lower panel with all of the electrical switches and circuit breakers. This was not original. I want an electrical panel I could easily remove to work on. Three screws hold it in so I can drop it down in my lap to work on it. Beats laying on your back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Gilbert! That looks familiar. How much snow did you get Sunday after I was by? Little Rock got 4.5" and it was quite a sight! I really like your panel!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Gilbert. Great pictures! That's just what I'm looking for. Was your panel upgrade considered a major alteration (airframe?)?

Some of the tabs were removed from the cross bar on my plane and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to return it to it's original state, or what I can leave and do without, and how everything will attach without them (legally).
    Last edited by 108pc; 01-21-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: caerlesss grametikal aerrors !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NHPacerPilot View Post
    Wow Gilbert! That looks familiar. How much snow did you get Sunday after I was by? Little Rock got 4.5" and it was quite a sight! I really like your panel!
    We got about 3 inches, but it hung around for 4 days which is unusual. It is usually gone the next day. We got another 3 inches last night but sun is out now and hopefully it will be gone shortly.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=108pc;40434]Thanks Gilbert. Great pictures! That's just what I'm looking for. Was your panel upgrade considered a major alteration (airframe?)?

Look at Piper Drawing 11906 on the Shortwing Piper Club Drawing CD. It shows the mounting tabs. The panel is attached at the top to the boot cowl which stiffens the panel.
    I started with a blank panel from Clyde Smith Jr. and then did all of the holes etc.
    The panel installation itself was done on a log book entry since it did not change the wt. and balance or change any of the structure. All of the EI instruments installed were done so on an STC so I included what I had done to the panel in the 337 that emcompassed the STC's. Basically the panel was done on a log book entry which included an overhaul of all of the flight instruments. The radio's had been installed previously on a log book entry as they replaced a factory radio.

Attached is a picture of the boot cowl and the opening in the top to get to the stuff behind the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA16 panel modification

I am in the process of specifying a new panel for 40H that the Cubdoctor will supply.

ideally I would like a sub panel mounted below the lower cross fuselage tubing that is set back towards the firewall that I could mount Tyco W23 and W31 (switch type) circuit breakers along with various switching.

Again, ideally, this sub panel would be removable to allow easy of access to the main panel.

Does anyone have any experience or dimensions for a panel like this?

What I am looking for is “I made it too deep and I can’t get hold of the CB’s” or “I would not mount the sub panel like that again”, “the sub panel doesn’t mount securely and is always loose” etc etc.

I am concerned that if the sub panel is incorrectly specified then there will be annoying interference with my knees /knuckles / panel / stick and that the terminals on the CBs will be exposed to contact.

Thanks as always.

Variations researched..

23160CF5-5160-40DC-8C06-CED4D6D84E67.jpgF9D1BCD4-A92E-4EED-A5A8-B10227A4133D.jpgEC8E83DA-ADDC-4115-9B49-0CF4370A1F85.jpgAF5A9706-81BE-43AE-83A8-F67D0ED696DA.jpeg

My panel pre CGR30 install.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA16 panel modification

Does the stick need to be that high? I would take an inch or two off and than just make the panel the way you want it flat without the dropback section on the bottom. Cub sticks are about lap high and have no interference with panel.
    Last edited by SMO22; 08-30-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA16 panel modification

The sticks in the last picture are not Clipper sticks. I would not cut off the sticks. It’s not necessary.The sticks in my Clipper clear the bottom of the sub panel. The panel was a blank panel from Clyde. See the second picture above.
    See for the details: https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...strument+panel
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-30-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Clipper panel attachment

I merged the two threads. The sub panel underneath is the same dimension as the Pacer/Tri-Pacer.