Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticks in a Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sticks in a Pacer

The new drive is on its way. If that does not fix it, I suppose that I will have to send in the complete computer. If it works, I was thinking about slipping the old drive into the other drive bay and seeing if I can get anything off of it. Here’s hoping.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to make a long story short, I have my computer back with the original drive still working in it. So I backed up everything last night. I had a replacement drive come from HP but that didn’t work, so I wound up sending the whole computer in for repair. I kept my old hard drive and when it came back I slipped the drive back in and low and behold, it works. What is interesting though, my secondary drive decided that it no longer wants to work. So, since I still had the replacement drive on me, I slipped it in the secondary slot and have it going again. Lost some of my back up pictures, but I have all those on other computers. So, back up and running, now I can get back to work on this STC. Right after I finish painting a wing, covering some other wings, doing some other stuff, etc. etc..... :? OK, so I guess ill work on it at night when there is nothing on the tube

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

This is good news!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Who needs to watch TV anyway. I will go a bit slower on my rebuild if you go a bit faster on your STC Glad to hear you got your computer issue worked out. Can be very frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I met a gentleman at Sun & Fun who is making Clipper sticks and getting a PMA on them. They might not work on a Pacer conversion but he might be able to make some that do when the final design is finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Brian, that is good, I would have bet money on this being the outcome. Now that you are this far, don't toss the old secondary drive just yet. Did you reset the Master/Slave jumper settings on the two drives after you replaced the original with your first suspected failed drive when you got it back from the factory? Might be a good idea to see how they configured the drives and be sure that you didn't get a mis-identification situation where you conflicted with their settings. The potential sounds high. Second activity could be as Andy suggested above. Take the drive to Best Buy or Compusa and see if they can read it on one of their firewire or USB readers they have. If you don't have time, box it up and send it to me, I can try recovering it, (my Pacer is getting near completion, so I need another challenge in the queue)

Post Thanks / Like

Brian

I bought one of those usb portable drives to use as a back up for all my data files, works great as long as you use it often. you can take it to any computer and plug into usb port and it acts just like an additional drive. Well worth the $100 or so +- depending on size you need.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I met a gentleman at Sun & Fun who is making Clipper sticks and getting a PMA on them. They might not work on a Pacer conversion but he might be able to make some that do when the final design is finished
    I can't imagine that there would be much of a market for Clipper sticks other than Pacer conversions. This guy will fit right in, if it's an airplane, yes!!! if it makes money.....it probably does not fly.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not much market but there is a need. I have a project that someone decided they wanted the sticks bent back a little more. :? They kinked badly. One of the sticks in my wreck I just got back has a pretty good kink in it. I had looked at making a pair and determined I would put it off a while which is what I seem to do with those projects that intimidate me. Then I met Ed at Sun & Fun and he had a shop with a CNC bender make them for his project that had some badly modified sticks. The first set was off a bit but they got it dialed in on the production run. He has an FAA guy that loves the old airplanes and will help them with approvals. I figured do it as an owner produced part but if he can get a PMA that will be great. Another case of necessity being the mother of invention.

Post Thanks / Like

Rex,

I am going as fast as I can, but unfortunately, I know that the project will be held up by the FAA. Our 0-360 constant speed engine conversion took just over 2 years to get through certification.

Homer,

It’s a laptop, I checked on both drives and there are no secondary or master settings. I have already sent the drive back to HP. Had to, I had a 15 day window to do so after I received the new one. Otherwise they would have charged me for it.

Andya,

I have a 1 GB USB stick. I have put all of my drawings on that and am using it as my secondary backup along with CD's backups. I am probably going to buy one of the bigger USB backup drives also.

Steve,

Is he making just the sticks, or the complete system?
    I would be interested in talking to him about making the sticks on his bender for my system. I do not know of anybody around here with a CNC bender. There would be no need for PMA on his end for my system because I would be doing the PMA here and using him as an outside manufacturer.

Been real busy here in the shop and I have not been able to keep up with reading posts lately. Dad is leaving for a week long trip at the end of the week so I will be really out of it then.

Brian.