Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing tanks in a Vagabond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Possible Vagabond wing tank STC

Well, I have two pre-1955 337's for wing tanks, one a PA-12 18 gallon tank for the left wing and one Luscombe wing tank for the right wing. (two different aircraft) Thinking like it's 1954, what was available in a wing tank that is still available and would work? Taylorcraft? Cessna 140? PA-11? PA-16?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    Yes, they bought a whole bunch of STC's from Stoddard's and did not get the drawings for the actual tank with them. Those tanks were made of tern plate and had a very bad service history from the people I know who had them. Too bad we couldn't get the drawings. I looked at buying Clearance Witt's STC's for J-3, 5 and PA12 tanks but by the time you buy them, build them and get everything approved you would have to sell a lot of tanks to get any return. It would be advantageous to get the J3 tank approved at the same time.
    Steve, Thinking of the mogas situation, Do you think there might be a market in the near future for a very thin stainless steel tank bonded to some kind of a carbon fiber shell (for strength), or something along those lines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aluminum works great, is easy to build and light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I was browsing the FAA web site and found an STC SA446AL for a PA-17 fuel tanks. Owner is Cub crafters. Doesn't say whether it is a wing tank or nose tank but the description is for fuel tanks. Is this the same STC from Stoddards mentioned above or something different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cub Crafters bought it from Stoddards but they don't have any data on the tanks themselves. They were made of ternplate like the PA12 and 14.

Post Thanks / Like

If Cubcrafters owns the STC but no drawings to make the product, of what value is the STC?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond wing tank installation approved by FAA

Don Swords, of Don's Dream Machines called today, to inform me he finally has the FAA field approval in hand for installing the WagAero J-3 Cub 8 gallon wing tank in my Vagabond.

He, and others I've spoken to say field approvals in general are about to go away, and the only way to make modifications will be with an STC. I hope they're wrong, but in any case, that's a scary thought.

With that in mind, he plans to start the STC process for an 8 gallon Vagabond wing tank that he will offer.

Just last month, he got the field approval to install his STC'd C-85 w/0-200 crankshaft in my Vagabond. He also plans to get an STC for both his 0-200 crank C-85-8 (no starter) and his C-85-12, with a starter but no generator.

Now that all the paperwork has been approved, I expect Don will have my plane finished in the near future. I'll post the performance figures here as soon as I've been able to fly it.

Ed

ps. I'll also post this note on the other Short Wing site

Post Thanks / Like

I see on http://www.J3-Cub.com that someone in Vermont bought and is going to start producing the Clarence Witte fuel tanks under that STC. Maybe we could talk them into including the Vagabonds.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing tank in a Vagabond

I've been discussing the idea of a bit more fuel for the Mighty Vagabond with Jason Gerard. Has anyone here installed a Wag Aero tank in a wing recently...without recovering the whole thing? If so, which tank ? I've also considered removing thefuselage tank and going with an 18 gallon in the wing ala' J5. Now, an 18 gallon tank would require some W&B number crunching, but would also allow a nice Odysey (sp) battery in the inside firewall to drive my portable electronics suite.

Here in the upper left hand corner it can be a fer piece between fuel stops, and the 12 gallons is pretty sketchy for a few of the adventures I'd like to go on. One example is from Burns OR to the Alvord desert, if winds are nice, could get there and back, but no play time to speak of on the desert. 18 would do the trick, 24 would be overkill as my bladder is 4 hours on a really good day.

Appreciate all info,
    Thanks,
    Rodg

Post Thanks / Like

Rodg,
    When my two twelve gallon Wag-Aero tanks were originally installed they did not recovet the whole wing, just from aileron rib inboard. I can post some precover pictures when I get home next week.
    Dave