Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Univair vs Cub Crafters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Univair vs Cub Crafters

Hey everyone. I am currently rebuilding my PA22/20-150 and am thinking of replacing the tank ribs. What are the pros and cons of the Cub Crafter ribs vs Univairs stamped ribs. I have purchased the Univair butt ribs and have been impressed with the quality.

Rex

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Univair vs Cub Crafters

I think you are thinking of Dakota Cub ribs vs. Univair. Dakota Cub ribs are extruded T channel vs. Univair's stamped. I used the Univair butt rib because I can put nut plates in it for the wing root fairings and Dakota Cub ribs in the tank bay because they seem a bit stonger and they are way easier to rib stitch. Univair ribs need tape put over the flange to keep from cutting the rib stitching cord however they can be pop riveted. :shock: Also some of the Univair ribs have to be offset because the rib flange is off to one side instead of in the middle like the original ribs.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the only way to go is using Dakota Cub ribs. The Univair stuff is more expensive and not near the quality of Dakota Cub. You will not be disappointed if you chose DC ribs. I am more than happy with them. They are slightly heavier, but much stronger than both Univair and stock. I have attached some images of my wins with DC ribs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information and the pictures. Guess I will talk to the Dakota cub people.

Post Thanks / Like

Well just gave Dakota cub a couple hundred dollars of my money. Nice people. Thanks for the correction. Being new to the shortwing / cub world, I am still learning who everyone is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's ok Rex, don't ask me a thing about a turbine much less what models Gulfstreams there are. I remeber when I first got out of A&P school ad started hanging out with the Confederate Air Force. I didin't think I would ever learn what all those different warbirds were. Same thing when I started getting interested in the antique and classic stuff. I'm still learning for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess it never ends. I guess that is a good thing though.