Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 850x6 tire?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best 850x6 tire?

Anyone have an opinion on what brand is best these days? Is it more desirable to have a rounded profile or flat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best 850x6 tire?

Normally I would not use AirTrac tires for pavement or durability - However - the whole idea of using 8.50's is to run significant lower tire pressure (12psi max) and have the off airport - rough field option - the Pacer has a lot of camber change in the gear or a lot of positive camber if the bungees are good - so definitely I recommend the Round profile - and AirTrac has the most rounded - also I recommend 4 ply if you can them for max flexibility and slightly less weight - Personally I run 8.00's - plenty of tire for any place I will put my plane - way less weight and drag of the 8.50, plus the 8.00 is approved without any other data if you have LPC (Univar STC tailwheel conversion for a 22) Haven't checked data for 8.50's on a PA20.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good info, thanks! We've only ever been on floats so this is learning time.

I found an old field approval with my airplane for 8:50, which is handy.

What is the size difference between 8:50x6 and 8:00x6?

Post Thanks / Like

You can check a size chart - but the 8.50 is much large then the 8.00 - you wouldn't think so by the size designation- but they sure are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ditto what Pacer 24C posted about the AirTrac. My preference as well. Here is a thread from SuperCub.org

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...tatic-diameter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    Personally I run 8.00's - plenty of tire for any place I will put my plane - way less weight and drag of the 8.50, plus the 8.00 is approved without any other data if you have LPC (Univar STC tailwheel conversion for a 22) Haven't checked data for 8.50's on a PA20.
    I didn't see that in the STC, asked Univair at the show the other day and they said to call the office. Where is it noted? 43D has the 8.00X6s and I just want to know I'm legal!

Thanks,
    Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    I didn't see that in the STC, asked Univair at the show the other day and they said to call the office. Where is it noted? 43D has the 8.00X6s and I just want to know I'm legal!

Thanks,
    Jim
    Jim - STC SA45RM (Univars LPC gear stc) Bullentin 1675 lists approved tires- If you have the original TriPacer shoe brakes (Cleveland Wheel 40-6) then 6.00, 7.00, and 8.00's are approved - If you other Disc brake conversions - check the list of approved tires - some only allow 6.00 & 7.00

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer 24C View Post
    Jim - STC SA45RM (Univars LPC gear stc) Bullentin 1675 lists approved tires- If you have the original TriPacer shoe brakes (Cleveland Wheel 40-6) then 6.00, 7.00, and 8.00's are approved - If you other Disc brake conversions - check the list of approved tires - some only allow 6.00 & 7.00
    I'm getting a copy of 1675 from Univair via email. It sounds like I can't have the 8.00X6 tires on there legally.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Svennson has an STC for larger tires, but still not 800x6

http://www.svennsaviation.com/page7.html

Post Thanks / Like

I would be interested in the final say on this. I have the converted double pucked disc brakes on mine. It has 8.00x6 tires on it. Not sure I like them for the asphalt or concrete operations, but really like them on the grass. Without checking the brand, mine are pretty rounded on the edge and appear to be wearing more on the ID with the postive camber. I think I will go back to the 6.00x6 or 7.00x6 either if mandated or when these wear out.

I will dig through my paperwork and see if I see any approval listings or this 1675 form from Univair.

Thanks for the info on this subject.