Hi Folks,
This has been addressed elswhere ad nauseum, but I hope I can get a definitive answer to the nagging question:
What is the best/easiest/surefire-sign-off/economical route to convert the original drum brakes to a more modern disk brake?
I think in addition to changing the brakes & wheels, I might also switch from the NRBB to the Steve's Master Cylinder (low-profile under the hood on my '55 PA22.)
Among the suggestions I have heard around the various water coolers are the Stinson 108 brakes from AC Spruce etc; Piper Cherokee; PA22-108 parts. Of course it is important to get them approved by the FSDO (we have a pretty good FSDO here at KHIO due to the great number of restorations and homebuilts in the region.)
And if the disks are installed does that mean stock Piper wheel pants will no longer fit (or will possibly fit with some modification?)
I have a very good A&P who knows his way around fabric Pipers for 50 years, but we wanted a consensus from the online gang to help avoid pitfalls.
What do you folks with disk brakes on your PA22's suggest? Spare no details please!
Thanks,
Glen