Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disk Brake upgrade for 1955 PA22-150

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disk Brake upgrade for 1955 PA22-150

Hi Folks,
    This has been addressed elswhere ad nauseum, but I hope I can get a definitive answer to the nagging question:
    What is the best/easiest/surefire-sign-off/economical route to convert the original drum brakes to a more modern disk brake?
    I think in addition to changing the brakes & wheels, I might also switch from the NRBB to the Steve's Master Cylinder (low-profile under the hood on my '55 PA22.)
    Among the suggestions I have heard around the various water coolers are the Stinson 108 brakes from AC Spruce etc; Piper Cherokee; PA22-108 parts. Of course it is important to get them approved by the FSDO (we have a pretty good FSDO here at KHIO due to the great number of restorations and homebuilts in the region.)
    And if the disks are installed does that mean stock Piper wheel pants will no longer fit (or will possibly fit with some modification?)
    I have a very good A&P who knows his way around fabric Pipers for 50 years, but we wanted a consensus from the online gang to help avoid pitfalls.
    What do you folks with disk brakes on your PA22's suggest? Spare no details please!
    Thanks,
    Glen
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Disk Brake upgrade for 1955 PA22-150

So, I've been researching this topic on this site for a while and see quite a few options for the disc brake route for a PA-22. What is the most affordable route for someone willing to scour the Web for used parts?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Field approval or Williams STC.

piperrocks2013

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Field approval or Williams STC.
    Why couldn't A guy buy the Univair 199-23100 wheel kit used for the Pa22-20 gear?? Would they not fit??
    Im after disc brakes now and the Univair 199-27600 used for the Tripacer and Colt is outrageous price. I do have the Williams STC for toe brakes but I'm going to spend near 1000$$$ on used parts all attach photo of the Williams STC Drawing. I like the idea of the Stinson Disc brakes just bolting on??? Maybe that's route to go Univair has that kit for 2000$ approx. any advise appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

That kit will work, I installed it on my 22/20 gear about a year ago. The advantage of this kit is the Univair TW STC SA45RM covers this kit under that STC so only a 337 form submital to make it Part 23 legal. If you purchase the Univair recommended inner and outer axel spacers you can use no larger than 7.00 X 6.00 tires. 8.00 and larger will rub the calipers. Many have found ways around this with making different width spacers. I took the easy way out and bought new 7.00 tires. Works for me and the strips I fly out of.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian; 06-17-2016 at 12:23 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

so I'm a little lost in the selections proposed, are yours the Univair Stinson brake kit or the Univair brake kit for the tailwheel gear conversion?
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for confusion Andy. Mine is the 199-23100 kit, which is covered by the TW STC SA45RM. I tried to attach the wheel and brake eligibility doc to my previous post but the auto image resize that happens makes it too fuzzy to read.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmanton View Post
    I installed the "Stinson" brakes and a Steve's Aircraft brake booster on my PA-22. I opted for the Stinson kit since it was quite a bit cheaper than the components used on the Colt. I obtained a field approval for the installation. The Stinson kit fit perfectly. Univair was very helpful and supplied me with the correct spacer and bolts to make the installation. As for the wheel pants I don't care for them, but I can see that considerable modification would be required to fit them to the Cleveland Brakes.

Cheers:
    Paul
    N1431A
    KPLU
    Univair holds the STC do this conversion, STC SA91AL. It is specifies installation per Stoddard Aero Service instruction Sheet No. 101 . Dated Nov 13, 1963. It specifies using Piper PA-22-108 Colt wheels and brakes. Digging deeper the Piper P/N's are a direct crossover to Cleveland P/N's 40-28 wheels, 30-18 brakes, and 75-16 torque plates. The 40-28 wheel assembly uses 164-105 brake discs.
    If you can find Wheels and Brakes off of a Colt or those specific parts to build up the kit, you can buy the STC separately from Univair.

piperrocks2013

Good Evening purchased, the ABI 199-62 Break Assembly from Alaskan Airframe. Looking good Looks like all need a spacer any ideas where I can get one. All attach picture as you see the space. What is everyone thoughts. Everything else is fitting perfect. Just playing around on my spare gear, get it all perfect before installing it on KIS.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

You will probably need an inner and an outer spacer to achieve proper alignment of the rotor and caliper. At least that's the case with the Cleveland Kit I upgraded to. I bought the spacers from Univair per the part numbers they recommend but they were pricey. Some 1 1/2 ID steel tubing and some trial and error cut and fit would be my suggestion. Photos shows these two spacers along with the rest of the Cleveland kit as I was weighing them. I gained a little weight in the conversion. 9.0 Lbs for the new dual caliper disk brake kit per side vs. 6.6 Lbs per side for the stock drum brake assy.
    Last edited by Brian; 06-17-2016 at 12:27 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA