Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 baggage compartment rear bulkhead

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA-22 baggage compartment rear bulkhead

My newly acquired Tri-Pacer is in need of a baggage compartment interior, and the most glaring need is a back panel of some sort to prevent anything from migrating back further into the tail of the fuselage where it might interfere with all sorts of important control functions. I've gone over to that other Short Wing site or Club and ordered their drawing CD and Tips and Techniques CD's, but in the meantime was wondering what you folks would recommend. I don't have dimensions for that back wall at hand because my plane is still 765 miles away getting some repair work done, but could imagine a thin and light high quality plywood panel, perhaps with a very thin carbon fiber sheet bonded to it, and held in place by hook and loop Velcro patches on the back side to the perimeter fuselage rib tubing so as to allow rapid removal for inspection access...Do I understand correctly that the original Piper interior material was thicker doped fabric as the outer skin is? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 baggage compartment rear bulkhead

I don't have any dimensions for you, but mine is made from light gauge sheet metal.

Post Thanks / Like

How is your metal (aluminum?) panel attached? What holds it in place? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think I like the idea of aluminum, now that I think about it. I have a sheet metal roller that can roll some reinforcing ribs into thin sheet...maybe 5052 aluminum...thanks for the input. How would you attach it? I'd like to be able to quickly remove it but have it be secure unless I want it taken out. Maybe hook and loop Velcro?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take some pictures next time I'm at the hangar. I'm not 100% sure off-hand, I've never removed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was some kind of hardboard with vinyl covering (it matched the seats. I'm pretty sure the PO got the material from Airtex). It attacked with screws to tabs on the frame

Post Thanks / Like

You could probably use Adel clamps along the side and bottom to hold a sheet of something to the back. I have two layers of standard weight fabric for the rear wall of my baggage. Shouldn't need to pull if for inspections either, that's what the "hell hole" is for.

Post Thanks / Like

Solution: beaded aluminum panel held in place with Adel clamps. Thanks for the good ideas, all.

Post Thanks / Like

its supposed to be fabric but hey to each his own

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay heil View Post
    its supposed to be fabric but hey to each his own
    Ok, so you have no idea to the depth of my ignorance with respect to these topics, and these planes. I'm an engineer though, So I figure stuff out. Quickly. I'm thinking these original choices on material by Piper engineers may have been made for cost and expediency. Please comment if you disagree. So if I disregard cost considerations that may have been part of the trade space during their time, for serial production costs, I may choose other materials. Those considerations do not concern me since I will make or buy everything custom myself or contract it to be made by hand.