Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

I have been repairing Clipper landing gear for several years. I just built jigs from a new set of Univair wide Pacer gear and repaired a set. The gear can be repaired for a lot less than the price of a new gear leg even if the only part reused is the axle. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

I have two Vag projects with bad mains. Can you fix them. If not ,how about a pic of your Clipper jig for ideas to build one for the Vag? Larry Huntley , PA-15 N4555H and PA-17 N4824H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I can post a picture of the Cub gear jig. It is more like the Vagabond gear and less complicated than the Clipper and Pacer gear. Does anyone have a good Vagabond gear that they could loan me to build jigs off of?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I can post a picture of the Cub gear jig. It is more like the Vagabond gear and less complicated than the Clipper and Pacer gear. Does anyone have a good Vagabond gear that they could loan me to build jigs off of?

Steve, In a previous life I was a Jig maker for a large company. I have built jigs as you describe by jigging a completed part but
    the best jigs are built from a blueprint of the part, that way you don't have to rely on the part being a "perfect specimen" If you have a blueprint of the L/G in question I can build you a "dead nuts" (tolerance on the money) jig. -Hillbilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It would be great to have the Vagabond landing gear drawing but I don't and don't know of a source. I did get the Clipper landing gear drawing. Here are some pictures of a Cub/Super Cub gear on top of the jig which could easily be done for a Vag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    It would be great to have the Vagabond landing gear drawing but I don't and don't know of a source. I did get the Clipper landing gear drawing. Here are some pictures of a Cub/Super Cub gear on top of the jig which could easily be done for a Vag.
    Steve, Isn;t piper drawing 11554 on the cd the correct print? Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You got it Gary. I should have looked at the Vagabond CD instead of the other one.

Post Thanks / Like

If i can be of any assistance Steve, just let me know.
    I think the most common error in building a jig from a print is neglecting to count the material thickness from a given centerline. -Hillbilly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have found it to be a lot easier to check dimensions and build the jig off the actual part rather than a print. Quicker, easier and less room for error.

On the Clipper gear the rear tube is .035" wall. The Pacer uses .049". I substituted the .049" wall tube on my Clipper gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Less room for YOUR error, maybe! But... "That's the way we always did it" don't mean it was always right! No way to tell if there's an error built-in to your sample piece, and "not being able to bolt it up" is actually the LEAST important error on a gearleg. Whaddaya think, Hillbilly?