Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

We discussed the clocking..decided move the twig catcher up.....to reduce the chance of ripping off a gear leg when a twig gets caught between the caliper and the tire/wheel.... alaskan brush is short and very well anchored on the wind swept coast.

Don't know the part numbers.. is the six bolt wheels...ordered the 1-3/4" oh rings, 105 pads, rivets and bleed screw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmoyle; 09-12-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacer and Clipper Landing Gear Repair

Question on your torque plates. I've got a set of double puck I'm bringing back to life and the torque plates are not "flanged" as those in this picture. They are identical except they are flat with the large sleeves for the brake anchor bolts. I've not been able to discern the difference. Mine were supposed to have come off a wreck years ago. After talking with airframes alaska, they recommended I get a disc spacer kit to solve the rubbing issue I'm having on my 40-28 wheels.
    Hoping for a big upgrade from my single pucks. The torque plates looked homemade with a plasma cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Double puck brakes came off amphibious floats...the salt had done a number on the appearance... little blasting... filing and sanding. Now usable as new.

Post Thanks / Like

The pictured torque plates were...used. Tom Tucker replaced his Cleveland 199-62A wheel and brake set up on his Cessna 185 with same. The torque plates are identical to the torque plates in the 199-62A wheel and brake kit I bought from AK Airframes. Don’t recall the off set...I believe it’s 5/16”....maybe 3/8”.
    You may be able to install your flat torque plate backwards....bushings facing inboard with the pins installed opposite...don’t know. Odds are the pins the caliper slide on will be to short. So...which ever is cheaper....disc spacers or replace the torque plates with the correct part.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    Question on your torque plates. I've got a set of double puck I'm bringing back to life and the torque plates are not "flanged" as those in this picture. They are identical except they are flat with the large sleeves for the brake anchor bolts. I've not been able to discern the difference. Mine were supposed to have come off a wreck years ago. After talking with airframes alaska, they recommended I get a disc spacer kit to solve the rubbing issue I'm having on my 40-28 wheels.
    Hoping for a big upgrade from my single pucks. The torque plates looked homemade with a plasma cutter.
    Can you post a picture?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll swing by the shop on the way home from work tomorrow and snag a picture of the torque plates for the double pucks. Let me clarify that the torque plates that appeared homemade were installed with the single puck setup.
    Here's a photo I got off google. This isn't the torque plate I've got for the double puck installation but its similar in that its flat. Those that I have are drilled with six holes. images-3.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the torque plates that came with the used brake set that I've cleaned up and painted. I just received the spacer kit from airframes, so I'll see if that provides enough clearance without having to track down a different set of torque plates. Still not sure what the original install was on. I'll post another photo of the torque plates that were installed with the single pucks.IMG-1806.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So what data are you using to install al of these parts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    This is the data tag that was on the brakes. After some discerning I was able to get a vague number off the tag and call parker hanafin. With that part number, which I believe is a cessna number, they were able to identify the brake as a 199-62. Is there something else I should be looking for? IMG-0226.jpg
    I figured that would suffice for the types of brakes called out for in trimmer's stc, but that might show how wet behind the ears I am on this.
    Last edited by wmvosburgh; 12-10-2018 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They are usually a set, wheels, brake calipers and torque plates. I have played with parts from different sets and they don't always work well together. What does Trimmer's STC say?

Post Thanks / Like

They are usually a set, wheels, brake calipers and torque plates. I have played with parts from different sets and they don't always work well together. What does Trimmer's STC say?
    Ah, the STC calls for the set. Once again I've learned something.