Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spins ????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spins ????

"Coward" and "Experienced Husband" are redundant.

Both! But who knows how justification comes to each of us? Divine inspiration? Denial? Desperation? Desire for peace "at any costs"?

I figured telling her the truth would be like admitting I had an affair that she never knew about. One minute she is in ignorant bliss, the next minute her world is turned upside down and she is afraid. The lessons to be learned are mine not hers and sharing them will not make my failure as a pilot easier to address.

She is a wonderful partner and would not demand any action from me like selling the plane or never flying with our child.

"seasoned husband"

Post Thanks / Like

Another tack might be---"I just rolled our airplane up into a ball and walked away without even a bump---these Piper Shortwings are really strong and safe---I'm sure glad I got ours"

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KSDM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmanton
    Another tack might be---"I just rolled our airplane up into a ball and walked away without even a bump---these Piper Shortwings are really strong and safe---I'm sure glad I got ours"

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KSDM
    Might be the smart way to go n the long run. My wife would eventually find out (somebody saying something years from now, etc.) and then it would really hit the fan.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Heartbreaking Mark, as to "informing" the wife this is my area of expertise. Tell her it was some sort of freak equipment failure, for example " Well honey the spring broke in the right brake and it locked up, causing the wipeout." This way she can be confident in both your piloting skill and the integrity of the bird, and you dont have to hide it. If your wife is like most the "freak out factor" is proportional to the length of elapsed time between said event and disclosure...Best of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,
    I think I posted my own experience some time ago.
    Just to re-assure those doubters out there, it was demonstrated to me by an old pro that my PA22/20 is hard to get into a true spin but once in, she comes out even quicker than it takes to get her in!
    My background for comparison is gliders, which I flew for more than 20 years. Recovering, the Piper best them all that I flew, except for a handfull, generally instruction 2 seaters.
    Cheers,
    Miguel Azevedo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spins

Has anyone done spins in a Tri-pacer (Utility category, of course!)? If so, any surprises in the recovery?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spins

It spins like it stalls. You have to work at it. Mine had the interconnect and just did the standard recovery. (That's how it works in the utility category anyway.)

Post Thanks / Like

I spun mine once, had a couple of teen age boys for a flight and they were bored so did some stalls and such, went to do a wing over and forgot about the aft cg, back seat passenger. Didn't get the tail over and she went into a nose down spin. Turned about 1 1/2 but came right out with opposite rudder, except I was in a vertical dive. Speed came up real fast and eased her out of the dive back to level flight. Passengers asked if we could do it again and I said no, one per flight. I've spun Cherokees before, not much different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spun my Clipper once, took an abrupt opposite rudder/aileron and it rolled over on its back. Neutral controls and it was over.