Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Front crank Seal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Front oil seal

Is there a "Best Before Date" on these seals?

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Front oil seal

My $0.02, having just done this on my Tripe (and several others as an A&P). I prefer the one-piece -- it's relatively easy to install (it really does stretch) and to my mind has a better chance of staying put and keeping a good seal. Just make sure you take the internal spring out of it first before you stretch it over the flange!

Just follow Lycoming's instructions for install -- I made a tool using a piece of PVC, bent and a slot cut to fit over the crank flange, a piece of aluminum bar stock through one of the prop bolt holes to keep the seal stationary, and a thin plastic bag to help the seal go over the flange.

Also, use the DC737 to seal it -- if you use that correctly, that seal will never come out again -- whether you want it to or not.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crankshaft Oil Seal

I just completed an overhaul on my O-320 about 20 hours ago. I am having an issue with the crankshaft oil seal leaking oil. I pulled the original oil seal and ordered a replacement seal per the IPC pn 77377 which crosses over to a LW11997. Lycoming service letter 1324C has guidelines for installing oil seals. It says use a DC737 or substitute Plyobond 20. Being unable to find DC737 I used the plyobond. This did not fix the problem. Went out and flew the airplane for about 45 minutes and it was still leaking. As you all know a little oil goes a long way. The SL says to make sure that the oil return port is not plugged. After the removal of the second seal and not finding one I assume that must be for an engine with a CS prop? I did check the clearance of the crankshaft oil slinger ring. With the crank pulled full forward I can get a .004 feeler gauge between the case and the slinger ring of the crankshaft. I read in a Lycoming document somewhere that that measurement should be between .002 and .007".

Any tips, tricks, guidance or information on successfully installing an oil seal would be most appreciated. I am ready to start flying this thing and not working on it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Crankshaft Oil Seal

Where is it leaking - around the shaft itself? - Is the shaft surface where the seal rides smooth?(may need to be polished)- I prefer the split seal with the split just offset to the right when facing the engine - and have success just using Permatex No 2 on the OD and at the split. Also, make sure that your crankcase has proper breathing thru the crankcase vent. Have your rings seated in well? New engine may initially have higher crankcase pressure (blow by) until the rings are well seated.

Post Thanks / Like

Can not say for sure if the rings have seated. Just did a compression test and the lowest cylinder was just a bit below 79/80. Will check the breather just to make sure. Replaced the crank at overhaul, looks to be smooth. Hard to say about oil consumption but I have added very little since I changed the oil at about 7 hours. Was hard to tell if it was leaking at the shaft or along the edge for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rex, Has your oil consumption subsided? If so the rings are probably seated. Here is a link with more information on crankshaft seals and links to the Continental Service Instruction on cross hatching the seal area. This method has worked for me on many Lycoming engines with a leaking seal. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ont-crank-Seal

Post Thanks / Like

Rex, I recommend the one-piece (no split) seal. I tried two of the split seals recently and had no luck. Stretched the one-piece on using the pliobond and goter done.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Can you get the ones piece seal installed ok without the special tool?

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing I found was that using the pliobond makes seal installation difficult due to the fact that it sets up very quickly as it is a contact cement. I have read of people using red RTV as well as permatex. What are your thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to use aviation permatex ad it works well. I now use Pliobond and haven't had any problems. I hate RTV because it seems to melt when it comes into contact with oil. I can loan you my tool however I use to grease up a ziplock bag over the prop glange and use a Phillips head screw driver to hold the seal on and a flat prybar to pull it around. Probably don't need to soak the seal in hot water if you install it in the next few months. Let me know if you want me to send you the tool.