Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Windshield Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to replace windshield pa-22

I Would like to replace my windshield on my pa-22. This is not a rebuild so all the hardware, plane parts and wiring is still under the dash.

Are there tinnerman nuts under the dash, behind all the little Phillips head screws holding the windshield collar down?
    Do they need to be held from under the dash when removing the screws on the outside?
    Can they actually be accessed without a major parts wiring removal under the dash?
    is it possible to install the new windshield with screws or rivets, so as not to need to place and hold the nuts underneath?

Is there any windshield R & R instructions available?

Don't want to put back clear windshield - any opinions on grey or green? I'm tending towards green.

Thank you for any input.

/Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to replace windshield pa-22

Don, welcome. Here is a merged thread on windshield replacement and the experience of those of us who have done it.
    https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...ght=Windshield

Post Thanks / Like

From the factory there are nuts on the end of the screws. I took the glare shield out for better access to the nuts. I used a vice grip to hold the nuts while I took the screws out. After the windshield was out, I installed nut plates for easier installation.

Juergen
    Pacer N3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Windshield Installation

I merged the threads. I would leave the bottom strip on the boot cowl alone and pull the hardware on the sides and top and slide the windshield up and out.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi again, Gilbert - thank you for your help here.
    I guess my burning question is about all the screws holding down the front windshield collar.
    I just took a quick glance under the instrument panel - it looked like it might be extremely difficult for a 2nd person to hold the (tinnerman?) nuts holding those screws?
    I can see if one's in the process of a rebuild that area can be wide open - but mine is operational.
    What are your thoughts here?
    Would be nice to be able to do that with rivets or screws, lol.

Thank you,

/Don

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Don,

...." it looked like it might be extremely difficult'....

I've had my windshield out three times in forty years and know it's difficult. The second time out I retrieved the socket from behind the boot cowl tin I dropped in 92. #10 screws and stop nuts with flat washers if I recall right. It was about as EZ as having the second person hold the socket extension with the washer and nut taped on while one of you put in the screws. If it came off more often it would be worth the effort to use a different way of doing it.
    Last edited by Jim; 01-02-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Windshield Installation

Here is my advice.

Do whatever you need too in order to get the windshield removed. More than likely it will require at least two people. Once you get it off, remove the two sides of the boot cowling. Now you can install 8-32 plate nuts for the windshield strips. Just make sure your rivets are inline with the retainers so you don’t get an errant rivet outside of the windshield. Re install boot cowls. Temp install the inner windshield strip, drill and pop rivet this piece in a few locations so you can use it for lining up your trim marks. You will need to trim the bottom and both sides of your new windshield for proper fitting. TAKE YOUR time and remove small amounts of material until the top of the windshield lines up with the leading edge of the wing. Once everything is trimmed and fitting good. Seal it up with silicone or any other good sealant and install the lower outside strip into the pre installed 8/32 nut plates.

—Brian