Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windshield Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Winshield Installation

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    Matt
    is that an original panel blank or custom? If you didn't make it yourself, where did you get it?
    That panel was made by Clyde Smith. Google "The Cub Doctor? I do have a blank panel as well made by Clyde.....just in case. May not use it. The shape differs from the original 1950 instrument panel. The top is flatter and the radius at both ends is smaller....that makes for a better six pack alignment. The original boot cowl will not line up....my right side boot cowl was damaged from the accident...knew I was going to make at least one...made two to fit that panel.
    Mark....my sons name is Matt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Moyle, did you need to trim any of the windshield up near the D-bows where the fuel Line turns downward along the front posts. In other words, was the fuel lines at the top interfere with the windshield installation? Or if anyone else that reads this know?

im looking at my Clipper and the windshield side retainers are slightly narrower then the Pacer and where the fuel line runs down the channel looks like an extremely tight fit at the top for the winsheild sides to slide into position.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a tight fit. Also I had to trim the sides along vertice posts some to her a good fit. When properly fitted the top of the windshield will be flat with Wing butt ribs.

I see a lot Short Wings were the leading edge fairing go up to lay on top of the windshield. i.e. the windshield is sitting too high.

Looking at Mark's pictures it looks like he got a good fit.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-29-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Pierce View Post
    When properly fitted the top of the windshield will be flat with Wing butt ribs.

I see a lot Short Wings were the leading edge fairing go up to lay on top of the windshield. i.e. the windshield is sitting too high.

Looking at Mark's pictures it looks like he got a good fit.
    Gilbert, seems like far more are done wrong than right, and mine is in the wrong column. But I'm not pulling that sucker out unless I'm doing a full teardown on the fuselage!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AKJurnee View Post
    Mr. Moyle, did you need to trim any of the windshield up near the D-bows where the fuel Line turns downward along the front posts. In other words, was the fuel lines at the top interfere with the windshield installation? Or if anyone else that reads this know?

im looking at my Clipper and the windshield side retainers are slightly narrower then the Pacer and where the fuel line runs down the channel looks like an extremely tight fit at the top for the winsheild sides to slide into position.
    Nope... bottom and sides.....and to clear the screws on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Gilbert, seems like far more are done wrong than right, and mine is in the wrong column. But I'm not pulling that sucker out unless I'm doing a full teardown on the fuselage!
    My first attempt I didn't get it right, too high. Left it like it was until I redid the fuselage, then fixed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default windshield installation

I am replacing the windshield on my PA-20 during restoration, any advice? I am not sure what to use to seal the installation can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks

Bobbynick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: windshield installation

http://www.lpaero.com/documentation.html:Generic but good information on installation as well as care

http://www.glapinc.com/instructions/index.htm
    : Kind of Generic, but some good information

http://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org/...-Installation: How Zac Weidner installed windows on his Tripacer

http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0174B.pdf: Deals with Inspection and Maintenance of Fuselage Fabric in Area ofWindshield Top Attachment Channel (might be a little out of scope)

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ht=windshield: Much on sealants used
    Last edited by cammons3; 03-12-2018 at 01:14 AM. Reason: added more resource information
    Curt
    N7606K/N4405H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: windshield installation

Anyone use any sort of sealer on a Vagabond windshield?
    Mine didn't have any sealer applied (when windshield removed).
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Windshield Installation

Bobbynick, I merged your thread with another and here is a link with some more install information.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...lat-windshield