Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Windshield Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Windshield Installation

I use the paper pattern as a baseline, match wing root carefully, and be extra cautious with those four screw holes. Only windshield I ever cracked installing was installing one of the lower screws on the pilot side of a PA22, mine. Stop drilled but every time I got in the Batplane there it was, that is until I had a bird hit the wing root fairing, insert sound of pencil snapping in two here, watched horizontal crack creep across top of windshield as I was slowly reducing airspeed....

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: windshield installation

Quote Originally Posted by cammons3 View Post
    http://www.lpaero.com/documentation.html:Generic but good information on installation as well as care

http://www.glapinc.com/instructions/index.htm
    : Kind of Generic, but some good information

http://forum.shortwingpiperclub.org/...-Installation: How Zac Weidner installed windows on his Tripacer

http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SB0174B.pdf: Deals with Inspection and Maintenance of Fuselage Fabric in Area ofWindshield Top Attachment Channel (might be a little out of scope)

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...ht=windshield: Much on sealants used

I have decided that I don't like the strip-caulk on the top edge of the windshield. It has worked well everywhere else and allows the plastic to expand and contract, but this movement causes the windshield to pull the caulk out of the top edge and I am always having to knead it back underneath. I would use another compound on that particular area if I were to do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a little Oxy/Acetylene torch, use a small flame to melt just the sharp edged of the edges and the holes. Drill the hole plenty big. I have used 1/8" vacuum hose from the auto parts store to make little donuts as cushions. Never had one crack, yet.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in AZ and will add this. I wait for a 104-110 day for windshield work. It makes it a lot less scary for me. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Needing some help for "my baby"

HELLO...... I own a 1957 Piper Tri Pacer .... the "Love of My Life" ... I was wanting to replace the bubble windshield on "My Baby"... I have not been able to find anywhere any detailed or specific instructions on how to remove and replace the windshield. Does anyone know where I can get specific detailed instructions and/or drawings, videos or other specific instructions. I would be so very grateful if anyone can help me with where to find the detailed or specific instructions for the bubble windshield replacement procedures. Please Advise........ THANKS SO MUCH......!!! GLENN, DIVAIR@AOL.COM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needing some help for "my baby"

What is your experience with working on aircraft?

This is not a simple project but, it is doable if you have some mechanical experience. Removing the windshield is the first challenge. Post some pictures and people will jump in with help.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Take the screws out of the top and down each side, if the old windshield fit well lay it on top of the new one and mark and cut with a cut off wheel. Usually cut it long and keep fitting, marking and trimming till it fits right. Top of the windshield should be even with the top of te wings.

Post Thanks / Like

Removing my windshield today. A message to all who might attempt this project in the future. To avoid bad Karma and future owners cussing your existence... DO NOT USE SILICONE!
    My God there must be half a tube of this crap on here. I have no idea how I'll get this stuff cleaned off and out of the channel on top? This took all day to remove to this point. Grrr20200601_142752.jpeg20200601_155403.jpeg20200601_161800.jpeg20200601_161829.jpeg20200601_161637.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have used a hooked bladed linoleum knife for that job.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed a new windshield in 04. I did not use any sealer anywhere and have never had a leak. I have flown thru some pretty heavy rain as well as washing the airplane. I have nut plates on the boot cowl where the outside windshield faring attaches so this probably helps.

Think about how the bottom attaches; the windshield is clamped between the inner fairing and the outside fairing. Water runs down the windshield and goes between it and the outside fairing and out the bottom. The only way it can leak is around the screws on the outside fairing. If water gets between the vertical fairings and the windshield it still is not going to get inside. If the windshield and fabric are installed per the drawing at the top of the windshield it is impossible for water to get in.
    I know some of you hav had windshield leaks. Except for sealing around the bottom screws maybe, I see no way water can get in.
    Just my opinion and experience.