Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lifting eyes on top of fuselage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifting eyes on top of fuselage

Does anybody have any pics of lifting eyes for top of fuselage. I want to put them on for swapping back and forth from floats, wheels, skis. I thought of puting a twist in some .125 thick plate and attaching to the wing attach points. Would I need to do this for both fwd and aft wing attach points or is there a better way. Thnx

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lifting eyes on top of fuselage

Photo on 2012-02-15 at 16.09.jpg

PJ,

I use FA Doge's they are .125 stainless with a 90 deg twist.

I have the two on the front spar but I have another set that I will be installing on the rear the vary next time I remove the upper wing root fairing. Even with the nose gear and prop on she is vary tail heavy and it is a problem at times.

I have made 1/8 cable loops for tight fitting T-crates where there is no space to install the lifting eyes. That is how I acquired the second set of lifting eyes.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Which end of the wing attach bolt to these fit (longer bolt I presume?)
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They actually go on the head side of first bolt on the wing attach block of the front spar not the wing attach bolt.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to place them on the aft face of the block Steve mentioned just to get it as far aft as posable. It is lifting forward of the CG and it helps to remove all the baggage and everything else one might keep stored back there. Also, the less fuel the better. I can not wait to install the second set of lifting eyes because it is going to make the whole process that much easier.

BTW, cutting out the hole for those lifting eyes is a bit of a mind twister. Make a template out of cardboard using existing screw holes to align everthing before you start cutting. The first hole I ever did for one of these was embarrassingly malformed...yep, it was on my baby.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, just the info I was looking for. Rocket, where will you install the second set?

Post Thanks / Like

Aft set of lifting eyes will go on hinge fitting bolt as there are no other bolts in the area.

Rocket