Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil Filter & Seatbelts

Hi All,
    I'm a newby aircraft owner and shortwinger. I have a PA22-150 that needs some enhancements.
    I think that sweet running engine needs an oil filter. What are the pros and cons of the Air Wolf, B&C, and Casper Labs adapters?
    What are the options for harness's. I need to stay with something recognized by FAA as the plane will have to pass a rather rigorous inspection as I intend to fly it on missions with the Coast Guard Auxiliary. I would love to find a system with an inertial reel but can live with a regular system as long as the loosening-tightening sequence is fairly quick...the flap handle really needs to be in the overhead doesn't it?
    Well, those are the two mods to get accomplished this year...my "to do" list is several years long...wing tips, exhaust, avionics, etc. etc.
    In my short term of ownership (since Jan 11th) I've determined that planes are like telescopes and boats, never finished, just waiting for the next enhancement.
    Regards,
    Rodg 1WA6

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter & Seatbelts

Hi Rodg, I have a Pa-22/20 150 and a 22/20 108. I installed a Casper Labs oil filter on the Colt, and the Pacer has a remote Airwolf filter. I would highly recommend the Casper Labs filter- it fits the space perfectly, and looked high quality. Been on for 200 plus hrs. The pacer, with it's oil cooler AND remote filter, runs too cool in my opinion, and if it didn't come with it already, I would put on the Casper. I'd be interested in hearing more about the C.G. auxiliary missions . Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Oil Filter & Seatbelts

ECI makes an oil filter adapter identical to the B&C and Casper Labs for about $230 last I checked from J&J Airparts 830-569-3891. I think you need a spacer if you still have the old hard lines to the oil cooler. You might also need the oil temp adapter that B&C sells for the bourdon tube oil temp probe. I don't like the extra hose you have to have with the Airwolf filter but in some installations it is the only way to install a filter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Oil Filter Adapter

I am installing a Casper Labs oil filter adapter on a friends Tri-Pacer. It has the original hard oil cooler lines and the adapter they provided doesn't give enough clearance for the hard line to clear the filter itself. Does anyone know what size adapters they make and what has worked for others? I will call Casper Labs tomorrow but thought someone might have already been through this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter Adapter

I too have a Casper Labs Oil Filter Adapter. According to the SWPC CD there is three styles of oil cooler hard lines on the Tri-Pacers. Two will fit the Oil Filter adapter, Mine doesn't ! I Just put it back in the box. One possibility would be to remove the hard line system and install Fire shielded hose assy, but that may bring in the Piper AD on Oil Lines and hoses/fittings are not Cheep. I would be very interested on a solution too. Thanks for everyone's input on all restoration and maintenance issues as they are very helpful and sometimes very enlightning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never researched the hard lines and didn't realize there were different ones. I have determined that this one won't work with the hard lines installed. I am going to install soft lines and will post pictures. As far as the Piper AD on oil lines go I would not see that as an issue because the PA20 and 22 are not named in the AD. My rule of thumb is to check flexibility at each annual and replace on condition. The new teflon hoses are more expensive but are supposed to be lifetime so that is another possibility.

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce
    I have never researched the hard lines and didn't realize there were different ones. I have determined that this one won't work with the hard lines installed. I am going to install soft lines and will post pictures. As far as the Piper AD on oil lines go I would not see that as an issue because the PA20 and 22 are not named in the AD. My rule of thumb is to check flexibility at each annual and replace on condition. The new teflon hoses are more expensive but are supposed to be lifetime so that is another possibility.
    Steve,
    Would it be easier to install Stewart's STC and move the cooler back? I have been thinking about that myself. Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think so. I am going to go to soft lines. Talked to two FAA inspectors yesterday. One thought it would simply require a log book entry because you are removing a TSO'd part and replacing it with another. Moving the cooler to the rear baffle will require new lines, baffle mod and filling the hole in the nose bowl.

Post Thanks / Like

Univair has a kit- PC 155 page 105 of their latest catalog. I got hoses made at AERO instead. a little cheaper. Will post some pics.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here is what I got into on the hard lines.
    100_2864.JPG
    Will be going with the soft lines. Also, I did talk to Doug Stewart yesterday and they have their rear oil cooler STC approved for the Pacer and Tri-Pacer. They are working on an amendment for the Colt and Clipper with original engines.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-22-2022 at 10:00 AM.