Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Adapter

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter Adapter

There is a STC for the flexible lines. STC SA1033EA, Walter Thompson is the owner. I went with flexible for a alternator conversion and a field approval on a PA-20.
    The FAA felt the need for an inspection and sent two inspectors that spent six hours going over the airplane and records with a fine tooth comb. They approved the 337 and found nothing except chipped paint on the gear legs. I won't open myself up to that kind of scrutiny again if I can help it.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have bought and installed the STC from Mr. Thompson but I want to run these between the intake tubes and the cylinders like Piper did on the late model Super Cubs. Makes for a cleaner installation in my opinion. I will post some pictures when I get them installed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.grimm
    The FAA felt the need for an inspection and sent two inspectors that spent six hours going over the airplane and records with a fine tooth comb. They approved the 337 and found nothing except chipped paint on the gear legs. I won't open myself up to that kind of scrutiny again if I can help it.
    Dave
    Amazying, I doubt many of our old planes could stand up to that kind of scrutiny.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

I bought one of the Casper Labs Adapters last fall. I tried to install it on my 1952 PA22/135 which has the master cylinder [Scott] mounted on the left top engine mount and operated by the standard "Johnson" bar and cable. The brake cable would not clear the filter housing with a stock filter. I think someone makes a "stubby" filter but this is not included under the stc, so I took it off and put it back in the box. So much for "fits all Lycoming 320 engines". Not necessarily!

Piper relocated the master cylinder under the pilots seat a few years later [55-56?] I bought a set of toe brakes with gerdes cylinders to install so I will wait to install the oil Filter adapter at that time. The adapter was nicely made, oil temp probe fit as did the vernatherm, and the price was right. [295 w/ stc]

regards,

Mark Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

On of our local members had a similar problem. I think he shortened the lever (pedal) on the the master cylinder to provide clearance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil Filter & Seatbelts

Are these three kits (ECI, Casper Labs, and B&C) all basically the same? Why such a difference in price?

I just called J&J and the 90 degree kit is $333.

Post Thanks / Like

Contact Dave Riffle up in Snohomish (Harvey Field) and check out his wing tips he has the Ron Sullivan's.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ECI has raised their price. I just installed a Casper Labs that I got from Aircraft Spruce. They had the best price $313 without a filter. They want $334 with a filter. Can't see $21 for an oil filter. All three are exactly the same except the B&C is cast and then machined where the others are machined out of billet. Remember the oil temperature probe adapter. http://www.bandc.biz/temperaturesenderadaptermf.aspx and the plug for the Vern-A-Therm hole if you don't have one. http://www.bandc.biz/vern-a-thermopeningplug.aspx I can get you the adapter for $300 with free shipping if interested.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info. Do you know what spacer is required for the installation with cooler hard lines?
    Thanks,

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve do those two fittings work on the ECI as well :?: