Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bungee Installation

I looked up the parts of the hydrosorb while I ate lunch. The only difference is the shock cords used. I would use the 2 1080s like the 52 and later airplanes had unless I had a stock 1950-51 Pacer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I looked up the parts of the hydrosorb while I ate lunch. The only difference is the shock cords used. I would use the 2 1080s like the 52 and later airplanes had unless I had a stock 1950-51 Pacer.
    Steve thanks for taking the time to look that up its greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add a little more info, a couple of years ago I put two 1080HD's on each side of my narrow gear 52 Pacer, and they are extremely stiff.....I feel most every bump in the runways, and run my tires fairly soft (12lbs) to compensate. I hope someday the bungees will soften.
    I agree with Steve that the 1080's would most likely be better.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed my hydrasorbs frome my pacer yesterday in preparation to change the bungees. I noticed once removed that they don’t have the bottom cup rather the bungee support is welded directly to the unit itself. I was under the impression that all the hydrasorbs were the same. Has anyone else seen ones like this? The part number on the shock is 487557. The PA-22 had 487558 from what I’ve been able to find so far.
    IMG_7129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cozzmo81; 03-03-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added higher quality photo

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Those are the correct hydrasorbs for the narrow gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vagabondblues.

If there is anyone in the central Indiana area that needs a tool to change their bungees I'd be happy to either help you change them or loan you my tool I made. Thanks to Lownslow (Lou) on this site for posting pictures previously in this thread of the awesome bungee tool. I made one similar to his and it works great.
    IMG_7130.jpgIMG_7131.jpgIMG_7132.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I removed my hydrasorbs frome my pacer yesterday in preparation to change the bungees. I noticed once removed that they don’t have the bottom cup rather the bungee support is welded directly to the unit itself. I was under the impression that all the hydrasorbs were the same. Has anyone else seen ones like this? The part number on the shock is 487557. The PA-22 had 487558 from what I’ve been able to find so far.
    IMG_7129.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    I had not seen that one before. I'll have to look at the parts manual, the 53 PA20 I did a lot of work on had the ears on a seperate piece like I have seen on Tri-Pacers and 22/20s.

Post Thanks / Like

I could not find anything on the drawing CD for them. The CD only has the drawing for the PA-22. They look to be made this way by Monroe. The ears would have to have been welded onto the body before final assembly I would think.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo81 View Post
    I could not find anything on the drawing CD for them. The CD only has the drawing for the PA-22. They look to be made this way by Monroe. The ears would have to have been welded onto the body before final assembly I would think.
    Take a look a drawing 12637 on the drawing CD. It was updated in 1954, added item "P" on the drawing which replaced the 12638-00 (hydrasorb with welded ears) with the current hydrasorb 13148, which has the two fittings, one which fits overs the strut. I have an unmolested 1950 PA-20 with 900 hours, narrow gear and the hydrasorbs have the welded lugs like yours. I also have an original 1950 PA20 parts catalog, which by the way was produced without illustrations. Piper said that they would help you identify parts with a phone call. The original parts catalog only list the 12638-00 as the correct hydrasorb for a 50 pacer. Also, It does not make a separate listing the fittings which are required on the current 13148 hydrasorb on drawing 12637, like the current (1954 rev.)parts catalog does. I think there is an error in the current parts catalog adding the fittings to the obsolete 12638-00.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabondblues View Post
    Take a look a drawing 12637 on the drawing CD. It was updated in 1954, added item "P" on the drawing which replaced the 12638-00 (hydrasorb with welded ears) with the current hydrasorb 13148, which has the two fittings, one which fits overs the strut. I have an unmolested 1950 PA-20 with 900 hours, narrow gear and the hydrasorbs have the welded lugs like yours. I also have an original 1950 PA20 parts catalog, which by the way was produced without illustrations. Piper said that they would help you identify parts with a phone call. The original parts catalog only list the 12638-00 as the correct hydrasorb for a 50 pacer. Also, It does not make a separate listing the fittings which are required on the current 13148 hydrasorb on drawing 12637, like the current (1954 rev.)parts catalog does. I think there is an error in the current parts catalog adding the fittings to the obsolete 12638-00.
    Thank you for that information.