Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

I have a 160hp Tri-Pacer and it seems to be the general consensus for the combination of one 1080 and one 1280 on each hydrosorb. I previously purchased two sets of 1080HD's for my hydrosorbs but I don't want a saggy, restored airplane with new bungees. I also don't want to waste a set of bungees. I don't think that the unused set would last till the next replacement, or would they?

Post Thanks / Like

A 1080 and a 1280 are both rated at 750s. (1500) 1080HDs are 900 Lbs. (1800) and fit the hydros better. Stick with the 1080HDs.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1280HD is rated at 950 lbs. and is 3/4"x8" where as a 1080HD is rated at 900 lbs. and is 5/8"x8". I have put 1080HD on Clippers in the past and had them last 8 years and still didn't sag. Have installed 1080HDs on several Pacers and Tri-Pacers in recent years and they were sagging within the first year. I have read that the rubber compounds changed but don't know that for a fact. If I was going to install bungees on my Pacer or Tri-Pacer today I would install a 1080HD and then a 1280HD over the top. Fits fine and I know it will last.

As far as longevity in storage I don't think $40 several years from now would be worth the aggravation of installing an unknown. I store them in a dark locker between the time I order and install which is short. You might find someone who is fixing to change theirs out that will take a pair of your 1080s.

Post Thanks / Like

I put a 1080HD and a 1280HD on our tri-Pacer Last year, don't notice any extra stiffness on sod runways and she sure sets up proud when you walk away her. I feel this is a perfect combination.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Steve a Clipper is a different gear, narrow. We have a narrow gear 20 and run a single 1380 (1160 lbs.) and am very happy with that. If you have wide gear then yes you need a lot more. If I didn't want any give why have struts at all? I think the right choice is enough but not too much and that varies alot with the different gear combinations and useage that we each have. My 22 original Tri I am happy with 2 1080 HDs. I think alot of the confusion is the regular vs HD.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will probably go with a 1080HD and a 1280HD. Would anyone be up for a trade of one pair of 1080HD's for a pair of 1280HD's?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where to locate that old video showing the bungee installation at the Piper factory? I want to arm-wrestle that guy. I think I can take him now.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I found it. I know some of you have seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWZpmu30h94

The old armstrong method.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have experience building a bungee tool utilizing simple leverage, depicted in this video, to install bungees as potent as the 1080HD's? I am considering building one. I have 270 lbs here that is sitting around not doing much.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the video, this I believe is a common way to install bungees on Cubs. When I was much younger I made a tool like the one in the video, it was a bit exciting sometimes. Installing bungees on Pacers is much less exciting......unless your doing it at Steve's shop. That was a video to see...
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."