Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungee Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bungee Installation

If you think I'm smart, you should see my brother. I have him on task to help me design the "armstrong" tool. I will let you know how it works out.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some photos of a home made bungee tool for Pacer hydrosorbs. It works pretty well.
    If I had to make another one, I would lower the pivot point so the bungee stays parallel with the tool.[attachment=2:2omcp13y]bungee tool 1.jpg[/attachment:2omcp13y][attachment=1:2omcp13y]bungee tool 2.jpg[/attachment:2omcp13y][attachment=0:2omcp13y]bungee tool 3.jpg[/attachment:2omcp13y]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for responding, but the pics might come in better 800 X 600. Can't see much the way they are. I do see you are using the idea I have around using an extension handle that slips on the round attachment stud of the hydrosorb. I intend to mount the other end of the hydrosorb at a fulcrum point on a piece of I-beam and set up a trip device on the member from which the bungee is stretched. I am also considering a separate lever instead of the extension handle with an attach point for hydrosorb at the base where the hydrosorb would swivel and slide along the I-beam as the lever is pulled and locked into place. The lever can be designed to enhance the distance of travel from start-to-finish and also be a much stronger means of providing the leverage. The handle you are using looks like it may be under some stress where it slides over the stud of the hydrosorb. Of course, this could be made with heavy material with a tight fit that would not give much. I'm still designing and would like to see the rest of your device.

Thanks, Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I clicked on the pictures and can see the tool pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I forgot how to downsize photos. See if this is better.[attachment=0:35njdedd]bungee_tool_1.jpg[/attachment:35njdedd][attachment=2:35njdedd]bungee_tool_2.jpg[/attachment:35njdedd][attachment=1:35njdedd]bungee_tool_3.jpg[/attachment:35njdedd]

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. The pictures were fine, and the smaller ones are better. Sorry about that. I am still technoligically compromised at times. I really like the tool you have. You just can't get much simpler than that, and I think it will work just as well as you have displayed. I will take your advice on the alignment and have the extension handle fabbed to fit nicely. I have a heavy Wilton vise mounted on my steel welding table that should handle the physical manipulation that will be required, and I will let the brisket, pork chops, mashed potatoes, and Blue Bell ice cream I have consumed since the last Edsel was made do the rest. I'll post some pics when it is done.

Thanks so much.

Lou S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    Steve - A wife who can change the bungees on a Tripacer!!!! - You surely are blessed - make sure you treat her right as she is definately a keeper.

Curly
    Wow, I've had A & P's who turned a bit pale when I asked them to put new bungees on my hydrasorbs! That your wife can replace bungees, way cool!

Mine? Well, she came from a completely un-mechanical family background and it all rubbed off on her. No problem, though. I take care of the airplane (and cars and house and... ) and she does gourmet cooking every weekend. Good deal, I think. And she will fly with me anytime.

-dave

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone adressed having some slop in the lower attachments of the hydrosorb to the landing gear. The holes in my hydrosorb lower ends seem to be slightly larger than the bolt size. I find it hard to believe the holes became that way due to wear, but I guess it is possible. Almost seems like a bushing could be inserted or drilled out to accomodate a 3/8" bolt? Has anyone dealt with this situation by other means than replacing the hydrosorb?

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a tool designed by my brother that worked nicely on two sets of hydrosorbs. He didn't like my idea of an "armstrong " tool (he is a little "light in the shorts" for that design). He came up with his own using a 3-stage car jack and a 1/2"drill - works awesomely. Way to go Clyde!

Lou S.

[attachment=0:3a9hyijw]Airplane pics 013 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:3a9hyijw][attachment=2:3a9hyijw]Airplane pics 017 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:3a9hyijw][attachment=1:3a9hyijw]Airplane pics 019 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:3a9hyijw]

Post Thanks / Like

More pics[attachment=1:kqid5iag]Airplane pics 015 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:kqid5iag][attachment=0:kqid5iag]Airplane pics 025 (Medium).jpg[/attachment:kqid5iag]