Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Steve's Gascolator - helpful hints?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Installing Steve's Gascolator - helpful hints?

OK, I am tired of dealing with the perpetual gasket leaks from the original gascolator on my PA22, I just ordered a Steve's Aircraft SA3-00 Gascolator.
    I don't have my maintenance book handy so if anyone has installed these before any helpful hints would be appreciated.
    I'm just wondering how the firewall-facing fuel line is accessed, any tricks to reaching that, etc?
    And I will discuss this with my mechanic before attacking it with wrenches, to keep everything legal!
    (And yes I replaced the old gasket but it's still a magic trick to get a new one to seal, so screw it! This is $200 well spent, I won't worry anymore about the thing jiggling to leaking condition in flight!)
    Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Installing Steve's Gascolator - helpful hints?

I've only done them on J-3's and other than enlarging the screw attach hole it went together just fine.
    Best $200.00 you could spend.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one some time back but have not put it on as yet. The instructions note that you may have to unfasten the boot cowl on the left side as the fuel line comes down that side from the valve, makes a 90 toward the fitting to the gascolator. Problem appears that there might not be enough room to back fuel line outboard to get the fitting started to tighten it up in the 90 fitting from the gascolator. Mine is definitely tight enough that this part of disassembly will be required, yours may be different. Aside from that it should be pretty strait fwd. I am going to change to all AN hardware when I do get to the job so need to figure out what parts I need to order first.

Post Thanks / Like

I removed my lower cowling while doing this job for ease. The fitting distance through the firewall was shorter, so I removed a small amount of material from the bracket to allow the new gascolator to move slightly rearward.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank Folks, sounds like it might be possible to do it from firewall-forward, if there is enough 'slack' in the pipe coming down behind the firewall.
    The lower engine cowl is still off so I will not reinstall it until the new gascolator is installed and verified fuel-tight.
    I was uncertain if the inlet line was accessible from the cabin footwell area (forward of the pedals) or lower, requiring the bootcowl to come off.
    I guess I'll really know when the part arrives and I start to tear into it.
    Cheers,
    Glen
    Glen Geller

Post Thanks / Like

No need to take off the Boot cowl. I changed out my brass fitting in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I installed mine. As I remember it was a pretty easy process. I had to do a bit of filing on the bracket if I remember correctly but that's about it.

Cheers:

Paul
    N1431A
    KSDM

Post Thanks / Like

Glen,

Being that I am the manufacturer of these things, I have put a lot of them in.

Firstly, it seems that not 2 of our beloved aircraft are alike. Therefore the installation is different on all of them. I have installed them without loosening the boot cowl, and a few that have been loosened. I have replaced the closed nipple fitting in the 90-degree weatherhead fitting with one slightly longer, and one that was shorter too. I have also replaced the lower outboard bracket screw with a flathead screw in order to get the fitting to clear. It all depends on the aircraft.

The best way that I have found is to loosen the bracket on the firewall and remove the top screws to get it to swing down just enough to get the cover of our gascolator to slip behind the engine mount. Remember to file the notch in the bracket floor for the cotter pin and enlarge the bail holes for a 10-32 screw before you install the cover. Install the primer fitting after the gascolator cover is in place. Unfortunately, our short wingers engine mount is so close to the firewall in this area that it makes it a little difficult to install without loosening the bracket. The cover of our gascolator is installed through the bracket, so removal of the bowl is required for installation. I also recommend removing the O-Ring during install to minimize the possibility of cutting it during installation. Just re-install it once the gascolator cover is in the bracket and is mounted firmly in place and put the extra one that comes in the little zip lock in your airplane in case you ever need it. Once installed on the bracket, you can install all the fittings to the cover. I usually put the bowl back on so I have something to hold onto while tightening the fittings. Use gas resistant grease (GRG), fuel lube, or Tight Seal on the threads of your fittings. Once in a while, a small washer may be needed in between the gascolator cover and the bracket at the screw location. This keeps the bracket from "pinching" in and makes it easier to take the bowl on and off. Other than that, pretty straightforward installation.

If this FOG ever lifts, fly her on down and Ill treat you to a cup of coffee. And if your real good, Ill let you buy me lunch…

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Brian for the tips, I'll be installing another one soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve & friends for all the advise. I took a look at '14P today and saw the fuel line is accessible from the left footwell after all, that's a relief.
    Looks like a two man job, one to hold the nuts with a small wrench on the bracket side, and one to loosen the screws from the cabin side. "Inboard, upper!"
    Someone about 30 years ago decided to put a ton of monkey ****e (firewall putty) all over the nylok nuts on the bracket, took a while to pick that stuff out to find a socket won't fit the nuts, hence the two technicians method. The fuel line fittings look pretty easy to access (whoops that ought to curse the project!) so I have high hopes it can be done in just a couple hours.
    Cheers,
    GG
    Glen Geller