Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Winter Operations

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Winter Operations

I merged the two threads. Look at page 4 for Bryan block off plates. I have seen a similar setup for Cessnas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil cooler works too well (in cold temps)

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    Attachment 7462Attachment 7463

The intention is the clecos will be replaced with #8 screws and self-locking nuts to start with. If all works as I intend, then I will likely incorporate nut plates riveted to the straps. The front plate is roughly 1/4 inch overlapping the size of the cowl inlet and then I rolled the edges a little bit to conform to the shape of the nose bowl. I am planning to layer the contact surfaces of the covers and straps with an adhesive back thin cork sheet to protect the paint on the nose bowl. I am also planning to curve the ends of the straps just a little bit (toward the desktop in the pictures) to "grab" the rolled lip edge on the inside of the cowl inlet.

Bryan
    Anyone had luck installing rivnuts in the cowl to affix the restrictor plates? My old plane, a '76 150M, had the plates over the cowl attached via four screws that went into rivnuts attached to the fiberglass cowl...
    Going to have to fabricate something relatively soon. In the meantime I'm going to use some tastefully colored white gorilla tape to restrict airflow. Flew back home two days ago in -10F and didn't see much above 120 degrees oil temp. This was with the rear mounted oil cooler covered with foil tape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hate rivnuts when the strip out plus I wouldn't want to drill holes in my nose bowl. What about making a cover that uses screws through the cover and clamps around the lip on the cowl opening?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I hate rivnuts when the strip out plus I wouldn't want to drill holes in my nose bowl. What about making a cover that uses screws through the cover and clamps around the lip on the cowl opening?
    Good point about the rivnuts stripping out. I like the idea of something that is more solidly affixed directly to the cowl, less chance of it vibrating loose, but the idea of putting holes in an already rough looking nose bowl didn't excite me.
    -26 F here this morning. Looks like gorilla tape in the meantime.

Post Thanks / Like

Vans oil cooler variable door works great on noncetified

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yarddart View Post
    Vans oil cooler variable door works great on noncetified
    I have had trouble with the Vans door. It restricts a lot of airflow even when wide open and my oil would get hot any time the air temp got above 65 degrees. I thought about reinstalling during the winter but if I get one really nice fly day I would have to remove it to go fly.