Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Operations

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Oil cooler works too well (in cold temps)

I'd suggest getting a vernatherm. I see 180 degrees with the winterization cover and a vernatherm in cold temps. My cooler is in the stock location btw.

Post Thanks / Like

The cheap way is to block about a third of the engine cooling inlets with some cardboard and duct tape.... modify as needed for the desired oil temperatures. Vernatherm is well.... you know.....
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 12-30-2014 at 12:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Trimmer made a couple vertical plates to block 1/3rd of the cowl inlets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would be interested to know if the vernatherm works in this situation. I can't remember at what temperature it opens but I believe it is below 140 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same issue... I have my oil cooler located on the back of the baffling, 100% blocked off and not able to get temps above 160.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would be interested to know if the vernatherm works in this situation. I can't remember at what temperature it opens but I believe it is below 140 degrees.
    ditto...

was thinking of getting a vernatherm... but if it won't help... then I'll probably try the vertical plates for the air inlets. Opinion on whether to block off starting from the outside or inside (nearer prop hub) portion of the cowl air inlet?

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

I'll check what temp the vernatherm opens. It made a difference on this PA22. It gets about 20 degrees warmer than my friend's PA20 with the same cooler and cover plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ysifly2 View Post
    I have the same issue... I have my oil cooler located on the back of the baffling, 100% blocked off and not able to get temps above 160.

ditto...

was thinking of getting a vernatherm... but if it won't help... then I'll probably try the vertical plates for the air inlets. Opinion on whether to block off starting from the outside or inside (nearer prop hub) portion of the cowl air inlet?

Bryan
    The plates Eddie made mount in the center of each cowl inlet vertically..they were about three inches wide, 1/4" flange on the sides. Then a step bracket same width top and bottom with a couple screws to capture the inside cowl flange. They looked very similar to the cold weather oil cooler winterization plate.....cept Eddie's clamped onto the cowl inlets.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, do you know if what Eddie is doing needs a field approval? Or is it the same as throwing a cover over the oil cooler? Also any idea where a person might find a picture?

Post Thanks / Like

My vernitherm starts opening about 180 deg. F but it won't keep the oil temp at that. I have to block the oil cooler. The movement is so slight you almost need a caliper or steel scale to see it move as you heat it in oil.
    About all I can see using a vernitherm vs. viscosity valve is the oil heats up faster with the vernitherm.
    I have a rear mount cooler and two aluminum plates. One plate covers half the cooler and other covers all of it. Below 20 it needs to be completely covered. I use the half plate below 40
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 12-30-2014 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really sure...don't remember exactly, there may be some sort of regulation? I asked if he was going to market the plates. He told me to make them. Give Eddie Trimmer a call. Perhaps he'll make you a set?