Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Cowl Latch "Cam Lock" Stud & Socket

Post Thanks / Like

Default Engine Cowl Latch "Cam Lock" Stud & Socket

Hello All,

I am building new Engine Cowls and would like to find a source for the Latch Stud & Sockets that Piper used. I looked on the SWPC CD and don't see the engine cowls listed and don't see a real good match to the stud & socket (in the Aircraft Spruce book) I have on my current cowl I have added photos of the hardware I have. I found good new hardware for the latch it's self, just no luck on the stud.

Uni-vair may have, if I can locate good part numbers...............any help would be great!!

Enjoy the day,

John Kobbeman
    801 499-0413

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Engine Cowl Latch "Cam Lock" Stud & Socket

The part numbers are as follows:

W98292-2-180 - Stud (Winged)
    99836 - Pin (Pin for the stud)
    9947P130 - Cowl Fastener Receptacle (Camlock type socket)
    6021401-36 - Receptacle Cup (Latch Cup)

All of the above can be sourced from Univair.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ben,

Am in the UniVair web site right now. The Winged Stud number comes attached to the latch lever for $3.00!! The recepticle is listed but $0.00 for a price, so I may need to call UniVair on Monday. The other interesting discoveries in the UniVair Web Site is that same / similar items show up in different places at greatly different prices, the above Winged Stud / latch lever under Strnsion section in listed at $67.00 !!!

Thanks for the great support,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, I made an error with the receptacle cup p/n. I corrected it in the above post. The receptacle cup p/n is: 6021401-36.

The $67.00 part you are referring to is the Cowl Fastener Assembly, p/n: 6021401-22. This part is the complete latch cam and includes the winged stud and stud pin.

The winged stud, p/n: W98292-2-180 can be purchased separately for around $7.?? each. However, when you purchase new studs, the p/n: 99836 pin is needed for each one and is about $1 ea.

Sorry for the mix-up, I was looking a three different reference books.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Ben,

Just hit the "Comfirm Button" for $50.00, got the Studs, for 7.08, the Pin listed at .42 and the receptical (socket) for 2.50 each. The WEB Store at Univair had the Picture of the complete Latch Lever & Stud shown when you serched on the receptical number................minor distraction.

I have a couple of sets of the latch brackets, cups and levers in Stainless ( off EBay a couple years ago), so am set with new hardware for the new cowl!!!

I noticed most of the detail shows up in the Super cub section of the Catalog (Univair), with complete cowls showing in the Short Wing section.

Again, Thanks for the Help,

John

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the complete Piper cowl latch assembly in the Wag-Aero catalog (Cat. No. M-738-000) for the paltry sum of $119.95.
    Yikes! That's gotta be a misprint!
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taildraggerpilot
    The part numbers are as follows:

W98292-2-180 - Stud (Winged)
    99836 - Pin (Pin for the stud)
    9947P130 - Cowl Fastener Receptacle (Camlock type socket)
    6021401-36 - Receptacle Cup (Latch Cup)

All of the above can be sourced from Univair.
    Thanks, I am in need of the fasteners also. I got the stainless latch assemblies and cups off of Ebay a while ago. Couldn't one take the measurements of these parts and get them from any parts supplier? (e.g. Wick's, Aircraft Spruce, Wag-Aero)