Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sliding window Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sliding window Channel

Thanks John, that makes sense looking at their cutaway.

Post Thanks / Like

Went with the whole CubCrafters Super Cub sliding window kit and it came out real nice.
    Ddave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice Dave, did you have to do lots of trimming?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that strip is secured well. The PA-12 that Cub Crafters rebuilt out here lost part of the striping in flight and it went through the bottom of the wing. They now use some little screws or bolts (didn't get a good look) to hold it on.

Post Thanks / Like

I used small counter-sunk head sheet metal screws. Wasn't real happy with just silicone.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to d.grimm for popping this back to the top and refreshing my "to-do" list Many thanks to JohnW and again to Steve for the details. Took a while for me to pop the correct area on the updated JC Whitney web site. after re-learning JC's site the current search using STEEL CORE WINDOW CHANNELS placed me in the correct location for choosing the correct channels for 51-PA22 now I need to go over John's and Steve's channel observations to choose the correct channels and recut the D windows and both front window sets

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d.grimm View Post
    I used small counter-sunk head sheet metal screws. Wasn't real happy with just silicone.
    Dave
    Yeah, What Dave said. Actually, you can even use #4(x6) PeeKay Type A (or B) pan head screws (aircraft "low profile dished pan head"; hardware store pan heads are "round") screws sunk into the "fuzzy" on the bottom of the channel, and the 'glas doesn't even know they are there. However, #6 (x6) PeeKays will give you a "bump" when you slide the windows across them. I normally, on the top and bottom channels, screw one in @ 3-4 inches in from each end, and then "equal space" two more in between (three total on the vertical channels) and I ain't lost (or "loosed") one in 35 years. You sometimes have a small "issue" with FINDING THEM AGAIN if you are wanting to ever take them out. They hide GOOD, but they're there. Clearly as Dave says, "cementing them don't git it".

Thanks for the thanks...but, "De nada". That's what "community", "camaraderie" and the spirit of helping and all that is all about! I used to be a Member at a place that USED TO act like that, but it's gone, now! (still appreciate hearing that, tho') JW

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why Piper didnt continue useing the split windows, thear so much nicer than the big one peice with aliitle movable window at the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Was looking into this and Vera at Cub Crafter's didn't know of anything for a PA-22 but did have something for the PA-18. Is this the same thing I need for my plane?

Also, JC Whitney didn't know any of those P/N's mentioned above. However, they did have STANPRO STEEL CORE WINDOW CHANNELS under a different P/N 18545G in the clearance section that sounded like the same thing. I only found that online after talking to them and they couldn't find anything over the phone.

Can anyone provide specifics of what went into putting this slider into the right side door. Do you use 2 single channels or a double channel? Are there tracks just top & bottom or all 4 sides?
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Was looking into this and Vera at Cub Crafter's didn't know of anything for a PA-22 but did have something for the PA-18. Is this the same thing I need for my plane?
    That's because nothing in the CC system says PA-22 for this...it's the sliding window kit for the PA-18 that Dave used above to do this.