Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Input

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Need Input

Plane is going in the shop Friday . I was doing T&G’s and started smelling smoke . Turned crosswind snd could see a faint waffling of smoke and my CO2 alarmed . Landed without an emergency . Thought I had isolated a bad wire and test flew the following day . First landed started to smell smoke . Landed
    The mag drop is good . Thought it was my Electronic Ignition Controller because it was hot to the touch . Turns out it was heat transferring from
    outside the firewall
    Plane runs pretty good until
    you pull carb heat . I’m loosing 400 rpm when I pull carb heat @2000 and the plane wants to die . I believe it’s because the air is hotter than normal
    The smoke comes from the heat shroud area . It seems like I have a high exhaust temp . Or the muffler failed (450 hours old )
    We will be doing a compression check . Maybe stuck exhaust valve ? A rebuilt slick mag was installed just before this . Direct replacement of the old one . Timing ? the rpm drop is good as I said and it’s seems it’s not a mag issue
    I checked each jug with a heat gun and they are 225-240 after running 3-4 minutes at 1500 at the valve cover it’s 180-200 . I do have one 20 degrees hotter but that doesn’t seem much to me

I had a fouled plug but fixed that and the plane was running good for the first few laps
    Thoughts ?
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 08-24-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Input

I would check the carb heat scat hoses for blockage. I’ve had mud wasps (dirt dobbers) almost completely block the cab heat inlet.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a similar situation. If you have the 2 piece heat muff on the passenger side exhaust pipe that feeds the carb heat check the exhaust pie under it. Mine was broken under the shroud and feeding hot exhaust into the carb with carb heat on. Carb heat on would drop rpm over 500. Could also feed exhaust fumes to the interior setting off your CO sensor.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Frank , you just described exactly the situation . The shroud and muffler come off this afternoon. I hope that’s it ..
    Both yours and Gilbert’s replies are the direction I’m thinking too

Post Thanks / Like

And a broken exhaust there has caused more than one PA-22 to burn up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FAAACA1D-95EA-4DDC-B5B6-45EA01568067.jpeg

Thank you Mr. Frank Green . Spot on in your post . The 400 rpm drop when carb heat is added is the key to this issue.

I’m looking for the replacement part now . 6 week back order at Wag Aero . I can’t get Field approval here in San Diego or I would be buying a Sutton Exhaust . I see Powerflow claims to have an STC ed exhaust for a PA 22

Is this repairable ? I may not have a choice
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 08-25-2021 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Wag-Aero is looking to get $820 for that pipe, but the repair shops can fix yours as good as new. I'm not current on where you can send them. I last used Dawley Aviation over in Wisconsin about thirty years ago, and it's still working.
    Last edited by Jim; 08-25-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks Jim ! I just learned that there is a guy on the field
    Last edited by sierrasplitter; 08-25-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Had that same failure. noticed the fire wall was getting warm on a return trip dropping my daughter
    off at school. Landed at a farm strip about halfway home (short trip) and saw the problem.
    Sent to Dawley Aviation and they did a great job. Have used them several times over the years.
    This happened about 25 years ago
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasplitter View Post
    FAAACA1D-95EA-4DDC-B5B6-45EA01568067.jpeg

Thank you Mr. Frank Green . Spot on in your post . The 400 rpm drop when carb heat is added is the key to this issue.

I’m looking for the replacement part now . 6 week back order at Wag Aero . I can’t get Field approval here in San Diego or I would be buying a Sutton Exhaust . I see Powerflow claims to have an STC ed exhaust for a PA 22

Is this repairable ? I may not have a choice
    Did I read somewhere that Powerflow had bought Leading Edge Exhaust?