Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "PIPER" cowling emblem

Post Thanks / Like

Default "PIPER" cowling emblem

I saw on the PA-22 blueprints that all the models with the PIPER, had all the measurements and a note that said they purchased them from Topflite Corporation. There is also a stencil labeled 1959 with connected, italicized-type letters without all the measurements. I like the looks of the unconnected letters better than the connected, 1959 style letters better, and I saw on Steve Marsh's Tri-Pacer that he used the unconnected letters. The blueprint with the entire paint scheme shows the unconnected letters, so I don't know what the connected letters are for. I contacted the Topflite Corporation and they wanted me to let them know how they could help. I would also like to know what type of emblem was used. (e.g. sticker, plastic raised emblem, metal painted emblem, etc.) I'm sure they could make anything I want but I don't know what I want exactly so I would like some help.

Thanks,

Zac Weidner

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "PIPER" cowling emblem

Zac Im not posittive what you need but i would guess the connected letters on the stencil are really only connected so you get the spacing correctand therefore you dont need meaurements I have a 59 tripacer and i dont believe they ever had connected piper stickers on them its to much of a pain to get a picture of my cowling on here for you but these are just stickers and they are gold in color and go on the side of the top engine cowling on a 59 tripacer go o the top of this page right hand side click on gallery then shortwing piper pictures go to page 3 theres a blue and white tripacer with a 59 type paint job on it and you can see where the letters go and these decals are available at univair and wag aero probably other places as well

I saw on the PA-22 blueprints that all the models with the PIPER, had all the measurements and a note that said they purchased them from Topflite Corporation. There is also a stencil labeled 1959 with connected, italicized-type letters without all the measurements. I like the looks of the unconnected letters better than the connected, 1959 style letters better, and I saw on Steve Marsh's Tri-Pacer that he used the unconnected letters. The blueprint with the entire paint scheme shows the unconnected letters, so I don't know what the connected letters are for. I contacted the Topflite Corporation and they wanted me to let them know how they could help. I would also like to know what type of emblem was used. (e.g. sticker, plastic raised emblem, metal painted emblem, etc.) I'm sure they could make anything I want but I don't know what I want exactly so I would like some help.

Thanks,

Zac Weidner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay heil
    Zac Im not posittive what you need but i would guess the connected letters on the stencil are really only connected so you get the spacing correctand therefore you dont need meaurements I have a 59 tripacer and i dont believe they ever had connected piper stickers on them its to much of a pain to get a picture of my cowling on here for you but these are just stickers and they are gold in color and go on the side of the top engine cowling on a 59 tripacer go o the top of this page right hand side click on gallery then shortwing piper pictures go to page 3 theres a blue and white tripacer with a 59 type paint job on it and you can see where the letters go and these decals are available at univair and wag aero probably other places as well

Thanks,

Zac Weidner
    How long would a sticker like this last? I would think that it would quickly fade and be ugly. I was thinking that I would want the same type of decal, only in a metal emblem so that it would last as long as the paint. Topflite said that they could not do the metal so I have contacted Aerographics and they also said that they could only do vinyl. I will keep looking as I like the idea of metal, but I may have to resort to vinyl in the end, if that is how Piper did it. (I am really kind of wanting to know how Piper did this)

Dundee,(Weston)NY and Hernando ,( Holder) Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Zac,
    Ask Clyde Smith - cubdr@comcast.net . Larry

Post Thanks / Like

it really is just a sticker nothing more and its about a foot long
    the origional ones on my plane were apparently vinyl or whatever they made decals out of in 1959 and were in perfect condition and the new ones I replaced them with have been on for im sure close to 10 years [although it has only been flying for 6 years ]and are still perfect Id say your good to go if you just buy them from wag or univair !!

Post Thanks / Like

One more question on this; on the drawing, it has three different part numbers of the emblem; "Gold", "Chrome", and "Aluminum" colors. Does anyone know if one of these would have been specific to my model or just an option?

Post Thanks / Like

Gold

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If you hangar your bird those vinyl stickers will last for many many years, just like the vinyl "N" number stickers.
    My "N" number on the tail are stickers and have lasted for well over twenty years and only a bit of degradation.
    The newer vinyl compounds they use today probably (oops there's that word) last even longer, with improved UV protection than whatever was used in the 80's.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

I ran across this material when I was manufacturing Fire Suppression Systems [for panel overlays, manufacturer's tags, product info., etc.] It is a thin Aluminum Photo Sensitive material that can be processed with your laser or inkjet printer. All you need is good artwork or the ability to produce the artwork with Corel or Adobe Illustrator, etc. Check out this link. I contacted them and they sent out samples of all their products within a week. Works with B&W or Color.

http://www.horizonsisg.com/products/metalphoto.asp

Mark