Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aileron Gearing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Aileron Gearing

Interesting comments! All of you are correct to some extent...no intent to imply sexism by Clyde Smith or Piper. All the PA-20's, and the 1951 PA-22 have the short throw pulley and cable system. I just talked to Clyde Smith in Lock Haven again, and he explained because the initial 1951 Tri-Pacers have the rudder and nosewheel connections, the aileron forces were considerably greater than the Pacer, and even those pilots with strong upper bodies were needing to put in some muscle to fly it. So starting the next model year, Piper went to the chain and sprocket gearing with more wheel throw to improve the model acceptance for all less brawny pilots (note the "W" word was avoided). Anyone out there flown a 1951 Tri-Pacer and compared it to a 1952-up Tri-Pacer? I'd be curious to know just how much the difference is. Anyway, when you convert the Tri-Pacer to the Pacer and get rid of the rudder spring interconnect and the nosewheel connection, the need for all that extra control wheel throw goes away, and going to the shorter gearing actually completes an otherwise incomplete conversion of the PA-22 to the PA-22/20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the follow up. That all makes sense now.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know where can I find a cable yoke or can the chain drive be adapted to mimic the early Pacers?

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lownslow
    Does anyone know where can I find a cable yoke or can the chain drive be adapted to mimic the early Pacers?

Lou
    I have to apoligize to a couple people who wrote to me via PM as to the cable drives. I just noticed I had two messages today. (ONLY 2 to 5 months late) I still have one. I would have to bow to Steves expertice as to what would be a fair price for the setup, but its available.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a really OLD post but I finally got around to removing the cable yokes from the 51 pacer doner fuselage I am using. (yep, life gets in the way) The bushings appear to be good and the cable is greasy and dusty but no sign of rust. I still don't know what to ask for them so if someone wishes to make an offer, I would listen, If not, I will list them on ebay. Thanks Gary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pistoncan; 01-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My 1954 PA-20 has cables and no sprockets. It is not as light on the ailerons as PA-22. Until now I never realizied there was a differance in the gearing. Pete Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pistoncan View Post
    I know this is a really OLD post but I finally got around to removing the cable yokes from the 51 pacer doner fuselage I am using. (yep, life gets in the way) The bushings appear to be good and the cable is greasy and dusty but no sign of rust. I still don't know what to ask for them so if someone wishes to make an offer, I would listen, If not, I will list them on ebay. Thanks Gary.
    I listed them on ebay with a starting bid of 200.00 buy it now at 250.00

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone know a source for the "bicycle chain"? I think it is part 13415-05. Is it literally a chain from a bicycle?