Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FAA Issues New Advisory Circular for Vintage Aircraft

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default FAA Issues New Advisory Circular for Vintage Aircraft

Advisory Circular 23-27 has been past. Looks like a major step in the right direction in maintaining our vintage airplanes.

As released from the EAA:
    http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/2009-07-02_vintage.asp

The advisory circular:
    http://rgl.faa.gov/REGULATORY_AND_GUIDA ... 023-27.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA Issues New Advisory Circular for Vintage Aircraft

Good news eh? a little common sense prevailed, a spark at the end of the tunnel even.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could read like a Lawyer...

I just read AC 23-27.

What does this AC mean in practice?

Does this mean it will be easier to get approval for an Alternator conversion (like a Denso) or a Sutton exhaust?

Thanks, in advance for your opinion, armed with this, I might be able to convince my A&P and I/A to get on board and help me make these mods to my PA 22.

Had an Exhaust crack, and leak (in the airworthiness directive area) on the way home from ID. I would hate for these (original) systems to fail again at night IMC, or on my next vacation far from home.

Thanks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, what I believe this means is that the "individual" ASI with authorization to sign off Field Approvals now has "it" in writing as to how "lenient" (or "hardass"!) FAA Washington WANTS them to be when considering buying back something [for example...your] alternator 337. The "Gray Area" just got somewhat "whitewashed". But, let us guard against not being "stupid" and trying to go beyond the scope of the Field Approval process! Stuff that "needs Engineering" to assist with approval, DOES...let's face it.

As a result of this AC, it should be okay to assume that AS LONG AS someone at the FSDO "in question" POSSESSES such authorization, there is NO EXCUSE for anyone to lie openly and say "We don't DO Field Approvals here". (I don't mean that as harshly as it sounds...not trying to be RUDE to anyone at any FSDO) (but c'mon..."NO Field Approvals" as a matter of "policy"???? What gives with THAT?). Here's hoping, anyway...

If "your" FSDO doesn't HAVE anyone signed off for approving Field Approvals, they are STILL bound by directive to ASSIST YOU in finding a FSDO that DOES (meaning... "THEY should find and introduce you to"...not say "go ask around yourself, and see if YOU can find somebody"), so that you may "get your job done", and hopefully in a reasonably short period of time. Feel free to "push that", if you get a "We can't", or worse...a "We DON'T.".

Post Thanks / Like

What about LED lights?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What about them?No TSO on light bulbs.

Post Thanks / Like

But if you are talking about navigation lights, there are regulatory requirements for color and field of view that still need to be complied with.