Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rigging

Shared a picture of Steve making rudder adjustments and service memo 21.....posted to the Bearhawk group thinking......over here at the shortwing group we don't use rudder trim tabs screwed into the trailing edge...we follow pipers service memo 21. Think I received a positive response?
    Last edited by mmoyle; 07-16-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rigging

so you screw the fork of the heavy wing "in" to pick up the wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry E View Post
    Yes, which pulls the rear spar down and increases the AOA and lift on that wing, and should make the heavy wing lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terry E View Post
    Depending is it needs half a turn or a full turn you can remove the rear strut to wing bolt and drop it just enough to rotate it one full turn and reinstall it. Easy one man job.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks have a friend with a heavy left wing, am going to chk the entire rig as this article sez to then see where its at.
    thanks again all..Terry

Post Thanks / Like

I'm rigging the elevators (PA22), and adjusting the cable tension has raised a few questions.

I've 'levelled' the aircraft using the plumb bob over the punched mark, adjusted the stab to zero, adjusted the cables to get full throw on the elevators (24 degrees up, 12 down) from the zero ( control column stops not 'limiting'), and then locked the elevator in the trail position (ie with the elevator centreline level---in trail so to speak). I've then adjusted the cable tensions to what feels reasonable (nothing official written anywhere that I can find, so I've used 30-35 lbs.).

That seems to work fine, except that if I then apply full up elevator with the control wheel, the 'up' cable is very tight, and the down cable is quite loose. Vv with full forward wheel.

I appreciate that the following may alter the cable tension throughout the control range:
    1. Control system friction
    2. Trim system bias cable spring tensions
    3. The rocking action of the elevator bellcrank because the bellcrank rotation is off centre to the elevator hinge line.

It appears to me that it would be incorrect to set cable tension with the elevator anywhere other than 'in trail'. Is that so?

That being the case, it appears that I would have to accept that with large elevator deflection, there will always be one cable which is relatively loose. I can't see that that is a great problem as the cables can't fall off the pulleys and don't touch anything because of that looseness.

Am I missing something here? Higher/lower tension required? Ideas please!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That has always been my experience as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any glaring errors in my method that you can spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks correct to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I got a PM yesterday about how I move the vertical stabilizer to center the ball with your feet flat on the floor. Here is the way I do it. Right hand on the leading edge of the fin, left hand on the tailpost and push the correct direction.
    Attachment 4359
    I have to hold light left pedal in cruise to fly strait, have tried to adjust the leading edge of the stab as you are in the picture, I have not been able to move it, or its just not making a difference. I need left rudder so standing opposite of you, left hand on leading edge and right on tailpost than pushing with left hand to move the leading edge slightly to the right. It must take quite a bit of pressure to bend it? I have tried but have not been able to make a change.
    Last edited by SMO22; 09-09-2018 at 10:02 PM.