Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compass Mounting?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Compass Mounting?

I've got something I want to throw out there for some input..... My compass is still mounted where the factory put it on the tall type instrument panel (57 Tri-Pacer). During a nose high approach and flare my eyes have trouble lookin around the damn thing! Has anyone moved it elsewhere on the panel and had it work reasonably? Mine is very accurate right now, and I kinda hate to mess with success but it still gets in my way too...
    Lookin forward to hearing from anybody.. Love the forum, keep up the good work
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Compass Mounting?

I just had mine removed from the panel mount and mounted on top of the dash. My reasoning was to allow room to panel mount my 496. It hasn't bothered me to have it there but I'm over 6'2" and from my eye point just the top of it sticks above the cowling looking forward.

One big advantage of moving it (at least in my installation) was that the interference (from radio, gps and ferrous metal) was greatly reduced by placing it on top of the dash. At some points my compass was off by 10 degrees when it was mounted in the dash, now the greatest correction is 3 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

We still have ours mounted on top but we have a vertical card compass that were were wanting to mount into the panel. Since we have the open slot to the right of the radios and already have the VCC. Besides, I think they are much easier to read than a standard compass.

[attachment=04unk4ue]Panel_Resize.jpg[/attachment4unk4ue]
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

My Whisky compass is panel mounted and I've adjusted it with little luck, the readings are nearly worthless. I use my GPS for headings on the rare occasion I need them. I hate the idea of putting it above the panel for visibility reasons.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

I moved mine from original to center, and didn't notice much change. I re-did the compass correction card, but it needed a new one anyway. GPS makes it a back up instrument at this point.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I see several installations over the radio stack which would fix my vision problem. I suppose its reliability would just depend on what avionics are there and any emissions they might give out. Thanks Again, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The magnetic compass is also effected by the steel tubing.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Magnetic Compass Mounting Location

Ok people. I'm sucker for a picture. Please show pics of your compass mounting locations. Please also advise your individual opinions on how well they work. For those of you following Andy's Pacer restoration thread by Brian, and I wonder who isn't...I have the same original compass, though mine was mounted in the middle of my line of sight on my high glare shield 1956 PA-22. I don't like it there, and have purchased a SIRS unit upon recommendation from some others on this site. Problem is where to put it. Me, always one to support sound experimental methods, and change only one element at a time during any experiment, I first mounted my SIRS back in the same place as the old heavy blob from 1956. It was an improvement as it was thinner in cross section and since you're focusing down the runway on landing, would blur into background better. However, I would prefer it be completely out of my sight until I need it. Sounds easy enough until you know that it doesn't like ferrous metal. So, putting it up high using a mount to the diagonal frame tubes won't work. So I've been messing with mounting locations. Andy's got his old unit on top the low glare shield of a Pacer in the middle of the radio stack. If I put mine there too, it will be at least an inch higher than Andy's. Maybe I need to chop my panel/glare shield down to Pacer size - it's been done before. So, if you don't mind humoring me, I'd like to know where you guys put yours? ; ) Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Magnetic Compass Mounting Location

Picture worth a 1000 words. OH Yea low panels rule

Post Thanks / Like

That's a very pretty picture!

I used to think tall panels ruled but now I have come to appreciate and favor low panels.
    AL