Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toe Brakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toe Brakes

Need info on installing toe breaks on my piper tri pacer.
    Can any one help?
    thanks for any info
    CD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toe Breaks

What??? Looking to install some? The Williams toe brake conversion is a "drop-in", STC'd installation on the PA-22 (as well as -16, -20 and "PA-22/20"s) and basically gives you Cessner 150 brake pedals (both sides) on a plate you place under where your feet go. Comes with approval for installing some Jigoonda double pucker Clevelands at the same time (but you don't HAVE TO change to these...you can keep your stock brake parts "down below". I happen to feel that "more brakes" are totally unnecessary). Now...If you are substantially taller that the Official FAA sized (5'7") person, some have complained that the "more upright pedal position" seems to reduce available legroom. I'm 74" tall with 36" inseam, and the first few times I flew these pedals, I THOUGHT they crowded me just a little...but I soon got used to them and am right at home in a stock Pacer, or a similar "type", with William's brakes, equally.

Post Thanks / Like

Please find attached a copy of drawings and 377 description of a modification single to dual for a PA-20. I used a combination of PA-25 and modified PA-20 pedals. You can find a complete copy of the 337 at Andy A's website.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you for the info on the toe break mod.
    CD

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I had a toe break once omg that hurt ---------- also have toe brakes in our flying clubs tripacer I guess they are okay

Post Thanks / Like

63' Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron55
    modification single to dual for a PA-20.
    When you changed from single to dual on the Pacer what did you do for shuttle valves. Did you have a pair of originals or did you use an alternate?

Post Thanks / Like

I used masters on the pilots side and slaves on the copilots side. Very similar to the PA-28 setup. If I did it again I would put the slaves on the pilots side instead. The slaves tend to get a little air on the circuit from the masters and they ( the masters) tend to get soft, but the slaves are usually always OK. You could probably use slaves on both sides and use a parking brake like the PA-28 as well.

J.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to find your 337 on Andy's site but could not. Can you post a copy here? Also are the PA-25 brake pedals and Gerdes cylinders available? I thought Gerdes was no longer making brake parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Look on the supplementary page.
    The Gerdes were used on the Grumman AA series at the time I think. The length needs to be correct to get the pedals in the correct position relative to the rudder bar.
    If you come across a set of PA-25 pedals or perhaps Maule they work OK. I will try to attach a picture of the pedals to this post for those interested.

Best regards,

J.D.[attachment=2:1h0xu0bv]100_0695.JPG[/attachment:1h0xu0bv][attachment=1:1h0xu0bv]100_0696.JPG[/attachment:1h0xu0bv][attachment=0:1h0xu0bv]100_0701 (Small).JPG[/attachment:1h0xu0bv]