Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Refurbish Aileron/Flap Hinge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I used Bob Andrews (the Fabric Doctor) aileron and flap hinge bushings on Cathy's Tri-Pacer. Works great. You drill and ream with tools included and insert a stainless steel flanged bushing which should wear a lot better than the aluminum in the hinge blocks and the steel in the aileron and flaps. Here is a web album of pictures showing the STC'd kit and how to install the bushings which are approved on the hinges on the ailerons and flaps and the hinges coming out of the wings. http://picasaweb.google.com/Pierceae...mGuoDtpJHgnQE#

Contact information for the kit.
    Piper Aileron/Flap Hinge Bushing Repair Kit STC SA02128LA
    This is an STC'd/PMA'd repair kit for worn aileron and flap hinges on just about all the fabric Pipers, shortwings
    included. This has been a chronic problem in the past and although any modification or repair to the hinge is
    considered a major repair by the FAA, there has never been any approved data to accomplish such. The repair
    consists of reaming the hinge slightly oversize to accommodate a bushing. An epoxy adhesive is also used to
    insure stability of the bushings. The kit includes Installation instructions, STC approval, Instructions for Continued
    Airworthiness, a custom reamer, two part epoxy adhesive, a mixing pad and utensil, 2 new clevis pins and 4
    bushings to repair two hinges. Additional bushings are available separately @ $4.00 per bushing if needed. Price
    is $139 post paid. Please contact Bob Andrews at 909-621-2859 or fabricdoctorLLC@aol.com for more
    information.
    Wow, that is pretty slick. I didn't know they made such a thing. Good idea to file

Post Thanks / Like

I received an email from Bob Andrews with an update on his Aileron Hinge Repair STC. They now have approval for just about all the fabric Pipers and for the aileron, flap hinges and wing bearing block. Information has been updated on my site, at

http://home.earthlink.net/~flynrow/s...ingerepair.pdf

The best to everybody in the coming New Year, hope all had a Merry and Blessed Christmas.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the kit with the STC. The kit came including the reamer. Fixing the worn out flap hinges on the flaps using the kit was no problem at all. Removing the blocks on the wings and re-drilling them was the challenge, but now the flap hinges are nice and tight again.

Juergen
    Pacer 3342Z

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The STC now includes bushing the aluminum blocks as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hinge Bushings

I understand that there is an STC to re-bush PA-22 hinges. Anyone Know of this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hinge Bushings

Steve has a tool here to do the elevator & rudder bushings that are designed to be replaceable.

Here's a quote from Steve in another thread about the STC to repair flap/aileron hinges.

I used Bob Andrews (the Fabric Doctor) aileron and flap hinge bushings on Cathy's Tri-Pacer. Works great. You drill and ream with tools included and insert a stainless steel flanged bushing which should wear a lot better than the aluminum in the hinge blocks and the steel in the aileron and flaps. Here is a web album of pictures showing the STC'd kit and how to install the bushings which are approved on the hinges on the ailerons and flaps and the hinges coming out of the wings. http://picasaweb.google.com/Pierceae...mGuoDtpJHgnQE#

Contact information for the kit.
    Piper Aileron/Flap Hinge Bushing Repair Kit STC SA02128LA
    This is an STC'd/PMA'd repair kit for worn aileron and flap hinges on just about all the fabric Pipers, shortwings
    included. This has been a chronic problem in the past and although any modification or repair to the hinge is
    considered a major repair by the FAA, there has never been any approved data to accomplish such. The repair
    consists of reaming the hinge slightly oversize to accommodate a bushing. An epoxy adhesive is also used to
    insure stability of the bushings. The kit includes Installation instructions, STC approval, Instructions for Continued
    Airworthiness, a custom reamer, two part epoxy adhesive, a mixing pad and utensil, 2 new clevis pins and 4
    bushings to repair two hinges. Additional bushings are available separately @ $4.00 per bushing if needed. Price
    is $139 post paid. Please contact Bob Andrews at 909-621-2859 or fabricdoctorLLC@aol.com for more
    information.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    Steve has a tool here to do the elevator & rudder bushings that are designed to be replaceable.

Here's a quote from Steve in another thread about the STC to repair flap/aileron hinges.
    Thanks for the lead. I sent an email to Bob.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Bob Andrews (The Fabric Doctor) also has a kit that is STC/PMA to replace warn aileron or flap hinge and pen. Took me about 45 minutes to replace all 4 aileron hinge and pens on my Colt. 139.00 per kit that will replace 2 hinges.
    fabricdoctorLLc@aol.com
    909-946-1080 afternoons
    909-621-2859 other times
    147 Woodstock Ct.
    Claremont, CA 91`711

Post Thanks / Like

Does the aileron have to come off to do the repair> I've already bought the kit from the Fabric Doctor.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it do.